Difference between Panasonic WJ-AVE5 & WJ-AVE7

yeah, it’s a pretty common feature. here are some other brands i can think of off the top of my head: sima (not all of them tho), videonics (mx-1 or mx-pro), grass valley, edirol (v4, v4ex, v8)
we don’t have a compresensive list of video mixers and their features in our wiki yet but that might be a good thing to add. maybe there is someone out there with such a list already, not sure.

1 Like

ave 7 “lumakeying” is not quite on par with mx30/mx50 keying, it works pretty much exactly like keying video into the dsk, so very crispy and segmented

grass valley stuff seems to be a bit more heavy duty, powerful, and confusing than most of the other prosumer broadcast gear out there. i like the indigos quite a bit but its a steep learning curve

1 Like

there is this list, however it seems not to be complete. But so far the comments are really helpful to get an idea.
Mixer List

2 Likes

and what about the WJ-AVES 55? it says it has luma/chrome.

1 Like

There are some manuals, pictures and comments about video mixers here:

We Pixelflowers have been using a WJ-AVE5 since we started. A well-known great thing about it is its time-based correction, in other words it’s a very effective buffer to have between your FX / distortion devices signals and your final output or the next step in your signal chain.

We also use an Edirol V8, which is way better as a video mixer, but the WJ-AVE5 seems to be much better at taming distorted signals and keeping them usable. The V8 just goes out of sync if we directly connect to it either a BPMC Premium Cable or a Synphonie AVE MOD 2.

1 Like

Dope, thanks for the explanation. Great blog and super nice videos.

What about TBC in AVE7? Does it differ significantly?

Dunno about the price difference, but the internal hardware differs greatly between ave7 and ave5 (and ave3 which is similar to 5)
i recommend ave5 because of its better circuit bending possibilities :slight_smile:

if you need proper keying, ave7 beats ave5 though.

also chances seem to be better to find working ave5 on ebay
than ave7 - but that might be just me. (i have bought like 4 ave7 over the years as “untested” …3 of which turned out to have the “green output” failure)

1 Like

Well, I just bought today AVE7 (after somebody snatched before me WJ-MX30) for roughly $100 and according to seller it’s working but we’ll see when it’s shipped.

Since I’m new to the video stuff and this will be my first piece of hardware I barely understand yet the features of possibilities but can’t wait to play with it. So I’m also not that much into circuit bending as I also don’t have any knowledge about that and I’m pretty sure I’d just break the device.

I’ve read today BPMC’s article about AVE5 and was wondering is there any difference in TBC functionality between the 7 and 5 hence the question about it.

1 Like

By the way I just learned today that the Blaupunkt DVM 2000 is exactly the same as the wj-ave5.

1 Like

I have both the blaupunkt and wj-ave5 and they are identical in features and layout. The blaupunkt DVM 2000 should be easy to find in Europe.

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread, but maybe I’m lucky and someone has an answer: I’ve heard many times now that is is possible to use they keying-feature of the ave7 not just to overlay a colour onto the keyed parts of the image, but to overlay the image from the video inputs. However when I look at pictures of the device and the manual, that feature does not seam to exist. You can only choose between white and the backcolour. Could anyone who has that mixer comment on that? Because it would be the only reason for me to upgrade from the ave5…
Thanks in advance!

No Ideas?

I had the exact same questions as hintt above. Hoping someone can answer as I’d definitely upgrade to the WJ-AVE7 if so.

hello,
do you have an updated link for this link? Thank you very much

yes, check the manual for how to do so, its a little convoluted but possible. its pretty janky and don’t expect it to be comparable to the actual lumakey functionality

Thanks!!! I’d love to check it, but can’t really find it online anywhere. All I can find is the service manual…

is not in bastiens hoard? GitHub - Syntonie/videomanuals: Video gear user and service manuals

Unfortunately also only the service manual :frowning: