Difference between Panasonic WJ-AVE5 & WJ-AVE7

yes, check the manual for how to do so, its a little convoluted but possible. its pretty janky and don’t expect it to be comparable to the actual lumakey functionality

Thanks!!! I’d love to check it, but can’t really find it online anywhere. All I can find is the service manual…

is not in bastiens hoard? GitHub - Syntonie/videomanuals: Video gear user and service manuals

Unfortunately also only the service manual :frowning:

imho ave5/DVM2000 (also ave3) is way better than ave7.
ave5 uses dedicated frame buffer memory ICs for both channels (ave3 has one on its single channel) which are great for circuit bending…
ave7 uses a more integrated hardware design and totalldifferent architecture

i’d say get 7 if you need proper keying and 5 otherwise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My 2 cents about this… i have the AVE5 and the AVE55 (i was waiting for the AVE7) … the ave5 is using only electrolictics capacitors and there are (inside) trimmer to set every parameter (colours, contrast, gains of the inputs) and a very nice frame syncronizer and also is able to de-screws old vhs… the AVE55 has only sourface mounted capacitors (the new one models, like actual on PC motherboards ) … but is lacking all trimmers… and also is not able anymore to unskew VHS tapes… (probably made for some more professional usage)
for what i can see inside the AVE7 (online images) … there is a small quantity of standard capacitors … and seems that there are some trimmers …
anyone of you can confirm if the unit (AVE7) is able to remove the lateral “banding” of old VHS recorded by VHS-C cams?

P.S. and also all Panasonic video mixer of this era are cutting an 1/2% on the left of the image (that originally was not an issue because TVs are cutting 2/3% on both sides) but when capturing using a PC can be not the best to lose this % ) can be nice to find a way to move the horizontal phase of the input a little bit to right before using this kind of mixers.

1 Like