Earl Grey - False Horns

Hey all, wanted to share a music video I recently finished and came out this weekend.

YouTube link:

Vimeo link:

This is quite often the music I’ll be listening to while circuiting (and music very close to the heart having grown up with it), so it’s been a real pleasure to do.

Decided to go all-in with a hands-on / improvisational approach over any type of reactivity (based on a universal-theory-of-jungalist-visual-music I will tell you all about after one too many) … then with a fair amount of reprocessing; iterated rotations, offsets.

Don’t want to spam, but if you dig the tune, check the record on Bandcamp (which I also did the artwork for): Earl Grey - French Exit

:v::sparkles::globe_with_meridians::sparkles::v:

8 Likes

I just checked out your Vimeo, and your work is awesome - great visuals, and great choice of accompanying music too.

2 Likes

really nice ! would love to hear some more details about the techniques used here if you wanna share :angel:

1 Like

Aye np - we had a beer last night and this came up (also let’s encourage more current_projects posts) :slight_smile:

Essentially 2D plane deformations / FXs sequenced at a slow rate (ie. offsets, rotations, shearing). For this there’s a DaVE with 3 channels, two with MX10s (modded); top-most is the FX layer (sheared, rotated), and I found a way to trick the menu system into allowing middle-layer to have an additional shape blend, also luma-keyed, which then exposes the bottom-most layer. If you’ve played with PIP then you know it’s pretty extreme with only slight changes, so here the shape masks help to sculpt and direct feedback chains into one-another.

Video is then sped up maybe ~1.7x and sometimes in reverse.

2 Likes

thanks for sharing, was wondering if there was some kind of dave/ado thing going on with the geometrical warpings bc didnt see much in the way of the usual artefacting from going i/o into a modern computer setup. wish that the picapture board had better color and could bypass the vignetting so that we could do higher quality stuff like this on the pi. i recently found a sony dfs 700 with most of the expansion boards which can do similar geometric biz but still figuring out how to navigate it usefully lol. will be a large part of our upcoming recursive news livestream tho

Yep, spot on! I think this is a bit of a holy grail for hybrid digital-analogue flows, where dongles and converters add delay and mushy feedback into these bigger reaction-diffusion areas.

I’ve got my own contribution to the RPi video tools in mind but its a bit far off (too many side-quests) so happy to give a heads-up to go hard with overscan settings with the ADV7282M board. This involves a bit of trial-and-error restarting, but I was able to get those finer granular feedback loops you’d expect from a V4 or broadcast mixer - the idea being to align / resize the input and output buffer in a non-destructive way.

2 Likes

Another area I was looking into was <= 2006 graphics cards with s-video/CVBS outputs and old PCI capture cards. The capture cards were initially promising - then you discover the SDK ends at Window XP or Debian 5. So I think I last left it somewhere with an OF app on PopOS with Black Magic SDK.

1 Like

yeah same, ive played around a bit with that kind of setup, the nvidia svideo out and then into avermedia inputz, trying to get any of that running past xp is seemed to be a bit fruitlezz

chat.scanlines.xyz