Video Art Zine // Open Call for Submissions

if you interested in riso printing just look “riso” up on youtube

for example ALL ABOUT RISO | olivia and pindot | risograph - YouTube

I’m sure there is a diy riso printer in your area

3 Likes

Sure, here is a quick update! Everyone confirmed participation (final person this past week), though I still need to make a few separations for some of the more challenging pieces, particularly in the second book. Below is a sample spread I made to test things–because of the method of binding, it shows half an image from two artists; after assembly each artist will have two facing pages. The fluorescent pink ink doesn’t totally come through in the RGB scan, and I’ve since adjusted things slightly, but this is pretty close:

7 Likes

I’m so excited for these! And I don’t even remember if I submitted anything :laughing:

I will for sure be supporting regardless and hopefully jumping in an edition depending on how things go if I didn’t submit.

Thank you for giving so much time and talent to this really neat project the image/texture of those prints is stunning

1 Like

Wow, absolutely gorgeous!!

Would you be willing to maybe share some knowledge on how you seperated the colours? Or where I could find some ressources? I’d love to do something similiar for a booklet accompanying a cassette release, but have no experience in riso.

1 Like

Thanks, did that already, but those tutorials are not really going into the aspect of seperating colours in an already existing image! Will keep looking!

Edit: nevermind, I think I found something :slight_smile:

check videos for cmyk color seperation. its basically the same. there are also videos for how you archive 4 color seperation for screenprinting.
(using this for my prints… Merch | Elfenbeinturm )
but you dont have to do the rasterization, riso printers can do that without preparation.
should also work in rgb - 3 color seperation

2 Likes

looks stunning. can’t wait for the finished zine!

2 Likes

Thanks, me too! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

please send me more pics on discord or mail :wink:

@Meudiademorte this is what I’ve got for you at this point.

1. Layout dummies, laser printed;
  2. Back cover of layout dummies, with list of participants (now confirmed, before editing)

4 Likes

Thanks again! Will try it! Problem ist most tutorials are for ps and I’d like to use Gimp or something similiar. But this has already helped a lot, so thanks a ton!

i want to see thee middle site :innocent:

Lol, it’s not ready yet–yours is one of the ones with a challenging color separation to make! (by choice) :wink:

1 Like

Hey Y’all,
I’m ready to make another issue of Video Art Zine! VAZ 2.0 will be the second annual release of a zine focusing on experimental video artwork being produced currently, with a special interest in hardware, DIY, coding, and modular synthesis techniques. The stencil-printed booklet will retain the formatting of issues 1.1+1.2, with each pair of facing pages focused on each artist contribution, printed on a Riso duplicator in a range of spot colors to get a vibrant approximation of the source images. Same as previous issues, my hope that both content and thematic character will emerge from a community minded approach, allowing for a spontaneous organization of material.

For this issue, in addition to being exclusively image stills, I’m hoping to include page submissions that offer content like patch explanations, circuit diagrams, related studio photography (along the lines of DIY workbench pics and not ‘check out my monster case’ pics), and likewise. I’m happy to help with layouts of info/text pages if you can help provide the content.

The final timeline, page count, and edition size is somewhat dependent on interest and submissions, but I am aiming to publish something before the end of 2023. Approximate specs would be: 24-36 pages, 6x8 inches, 2-4 colors, all pages full bleed, bound with saddle staples, in run of around 150 copies. Here is a video of what last year’s booklets looked like.

I don’t have a great distribution plan, but I go to book fairs once or twice per year and otherwise have them available online. Some highlights for the pilot issue include an online purchase by the Museum of Modern Art, and having them stocked by New York independent bookstore Printed Matter, and the experimental video studio, Phase Space.

In exchange for participating, I can offer a couple of copies of the zine, and as many additional copies as you’d like at the cost to produce them (probably around $10 per booklet). If you have any questions regarding formatting, or whatever, please email me: jeffrey.evergreen@gmail.com.

5 Likes

I’m so excited to put something together for this!
Thank you for all the work you put towards these.

I really have enjoyed our copy of the first edition!

3 Likes

VAZ 1.0 looked amazing.
Looking forward to submitting some new work for 2.0.

2 Likes

Ooh. Just submitted!!

2 Likes

Ty for making these! Just submitted.

1 Like

great to see another one in the works, will submit!

1 Like

Yes, will def submit.

1 Like