128gb SD card shows up as 45.3mb?

This is the weirdest thing ever - I just noticed that my 128gb micro sd card is showing up as only having a 45.3mb capacity after flashing the recurBOY image using balena etcher. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to get it back to 128gb? Thanks!

not sure about recurBoy specifically as i’ve not tried that one yet … BUT … in my experience with pi’s there are two things i have found:

1. sometimes after you flash an image you have to boot up the pi and expand the partition to fit the file system. this is usually done thru the command line and instructions should be easily findable online

maybe scan thru the instructions and see if this is part of the standard process already for recurBoy?

1. unfortunately there are some people out there selling SD cards which claim to be larger than they really are, they sometimes come with a spoofed partition map so that when you plug them in they lie about their size. if you ever try to expandfs and it is not working as expected this could be a possible reason

when you write a raspberry pi image to sd card it creates two partitions: boot and rootfs - usually only the boot one is visible as usable read/write on a (non-linux) system - this is where you can access some config files like config.txt etc.

the other partition is accessed by the pi os when booted.

@palomakop is right that also when an image is flashed to sd card it needs to be expanded to fill the card (since the image doesnt know what size card it will be flashed onto) this is usually done automatically these days tho so you shouldnt have to do anything - just be aware that the first time you boot up the pi with a new card it will restart its self not long after boot to do this…

Oh interesting! So I’m guessing this expanding part didn’t work right - think I should try flashing the firmware again or figure out the secret codes to make the magic happen on the RPi0?

No my first guess is that you are just looking at the size of the boot partition which sounds correct to be 45.3mb.

Does it run if yku put in recurboy ?

Can you plug in keyboard into recurboy / access commandline (directly or via ssh?)

From there you could see the size of the rootfs partition.

Or put the sd card into a computer that reads both partions ?

Ok - I think I got it! Luckily, I bought the RPi0 W and was able to ssh in! df is showing that /dev/root is 118G and has 110G available so I think everything is working properly!!

Also, going forward, I can just plop videos and shaders/fx into those similarly named folders, right? So cool!

Thanks again!!
Untitled

Exactly thoses are the ones recurboy reads from - nice work getting ssh to work for you !

Fwiw even if you dont have pi on network or have wifi version of pi you can still ssh to it by connecting usb between computer and the data micro usb on pi0 - rhis creates a wired network connection using ethernet-over-usb which you can access with ‘ssh pi@raspberrypi.local’

2 Likes

While it’s still fresh in my memory – in case anyone in the future wants to ssh into their RPi0W (from a Mac) - here’s how I did it:

1. on the Mac, open the sd card in finder (should be called “boot”)
  2. create an empty file (with no extension) on the sd card’s root folder called “ssh”
  3. create another file called “wpa_supplicant.conf”
  4. open wpa_supplicant.conf and paste in this magical incantation:
country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="WIFI_SSID"
scan_ssid=1
psk="WIFI_PASSWORD"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
  1. replace “WIFI_SSID” with the name of your wifi network (the 2G version works better for me for some reason) and “WIFI_PASSWORD” with your… wifi password
  2. eject the sd card, put it back in your recurBOY, turn it on and wait for it to completely boot up
  3. from the Mac terminal, type: ssh pi@raspberrypi.local
  4. type in the password (the default password is “raspberry”)
  5. you’re in! “ls” shows all the files and folders and “df -h” shows how much space is left on the sd card.
3 Likes

Ok – so this is super cool! The easiest way I’ve found to transfer files from my Mac desktop to the RPi0W (after setting everything up in my previous post) is as follows:

1. ssh into the RPi0W by going to terminal and typing “ssh pi@raspberrypi.local” and entering the password (probably “raspberry” if you’re as security conscious as I am)
  2. after logging in, type “hostname -I” to reveal the pi’s ip address. This is what mine looked like:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ hostname -I
192.168.1.123 2603:7000:8401:69b4:558d:93b7:985a:6b90 

That first chunk of numbers, “192.168.1.123” is important! Write this down.
3. Download a free program called Cyberduck from here: https://cyberduck.io
4. Set up a new connection making sure to select SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) from the dropdown at the top. The Server is the address you just got from “hostname -I”, username is “pi” and password is “raspberry”. Here’s what my config looks like:
5. Once that’s all set up, everything else is drag and drop! You’ve got the keys to the kingdom!!

et voilà!