Bay Area Meetup -- any interest?

Bay Area meetup scheduling

If you know of a specific place or existing event, please let us know.

Please vote for your preferences. Doesn’t mean you will not go to the other locations, but based on what is most convenient for you!

• San Francisco
  • San Jose
  • East Bay = Oakland + Berkeley + Alameda

0 voters

If we are missing a location, please tell us. Thank you!

Possible Locations

• Ace Makerspace: 6050 Lowell St #214, Oakland, CA 94608 (We are penciled in here for Saturday, August 19th 7pm - 10pm)
  • Omni Commons: 4799 Shattuck Ave., Oakland, CA 94609
  • Noisebridge: 272 Capp St, San Francisco, CA 94110
  • Syzygy: 395 S Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94103
  • Light Rail Studios: 672 Toland Place, San Francisco, CA 94124
  • Please edit to write more places and addresses.
1 Like

I would be interested if you’re near San Jose somewhere! It’s a bit hard for me to get to other parts of the Bay Area at the moment.

1 Like

Hmm, converted top post to a wiki so we can hash out ideas or locations easier.

1 Like

[edit]

Berkley would be nice. I gotta drive all the way from Sac :frowning:

1 Like

Noise bridge in SF, or hacker maker space in Oakland Sudo Room in Omni Commons might be good places for a meet up Omni Commons - Oakland - LocalWiki

1 Like

Been wanting to do a visual cortex overload event. Like everyone brings a projector and setup. Project everywhere possible. Have a lineup of quality DJs (I could book that part, know a ton and did 15 years of DJ event org so far)

https://www.syzygysf.com/ Might be the best space for that idea

@fetz has a discord for SF Bay Area visualists btw. Also been mentioning this idea there recently.
Join us

1 Like

Definitely interested!

@palomakop and i will be hosting a video artist meetup event at syzygy in sf on the evening on oct 12, and another intro to visuals workshop at cat factory on oct 14th. a bit far off in the future i know but still would be good to see some of yalls at either or both of these events

5 Likes

Oooh, I’m interested in joining but the invite is expired, can you resend it? :smiley_cat:

Cool I added Syzygy to my calendar, but do you have a link for Cat Factory? Not familiar yet. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

will have more info posted on phaseshift.zone soon, as well as in an upcoming phase shift mailer. but i’m fairly sure it is right around the block from syzygy.

also if any folks are interested, at the first event at syzygy, pk and i would be happy to chat with any interested folks about the somewhat boring but incredibly useful processes we used to help organize phase space events in brooklyn on the off chance that locals would be interested in doing likeminded events in the bay area :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey folks,

I am going to see if we can use Ace Makerspace for a meet up, since most folks voted for the East Bay and I am a member there. But they want me to write up a proposal and I actually don’t know what a meet up would look like.

I guess I’m just interested in meeting folks working on video art and seeing what they are up to, exchanging knowledge, talking about gear, where people are presenting their art, ideas for collaborative efforts, etc. But should we actually bring in equipment and do something? Might be a bit complicated for our first meet up, but if anyone feels strongly I could include that in the proposal. Otherwise, I’d imagine that we could use my small projector and bring laptops to present slides and videos to describe what we do. Maybe we all get 5 minutes and then time for questions after, and then a general discussion after all the presentations. Drinks and snacks before / after. Does that sound about right? Totally open to other ideas, just coming up with this off the top of my head.

If Ace or the Omni don’t work out, I can ask my friends at Light Rail Studios in SF – more of a recording studio / performance space, but they have a kitchen and front lobby that would be a comfortable space for a meet up.

I’m hoping we can get together around the middle of August.

2 Likes

SAVE THE DATE! Saturday, August 19th 7pm to 10pm at Ace Makerspace.

This is still unofficial, and I’ll post more details later. But we are penciled in for this date at Ace Makerspace. Working with Ace is a little bit weird, but there are pros and cons.

Pros:

• They have a projector and a screen, so we don’t have to bring one.
  • They provide all the plates, napkins etc for food and will provide coupons for local pizza.
  • It’s a pretty big space; I doubt we will outgrow it.
  • They said okay to the event and are generally supportive.
  • If we do this more regularly they might be able to provide storage space.
  • It’s free.

Con:

• Visitors must RSVP and create a guest account. This is strictly enforced.

Hope to see you all there!

Like I said, I’ll post more details later and also announce it in the Video Circuits and LZX Video Synth Community groups on Facebook, and in the r/videobending subreddit. But for now, please note that this is all unofficial and I will need to work out details with Ace before doing a bigger announcement.

4 Likes

Hi folks, some updates:

CONFIRMED
This event is fully confirmed for August 19th at 7pm.

RSVP
Please let me know if you are coming! If no one comes, I will be bummed out.

PRESENTERS
Also: if you are coming, please present your work! You don’t have to, but it would be great to see what everyone is doing. Let’s plan on 5 minute presentations with time for questions afterward.

GUEST MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED
Ace Makerspace requires that everyone entering the building have a guest membership. Here is the link: FREE Guest Account – Ace Makerspace PLEASE NOTE: it says the guest membership costs $100, but it’s actually free with the coupon code on that web page. I think this is a weird wrinkle that is based on their software, or taxes, or liability or something.

@jsdot @robp @fairplay @OddRas @Dr_Rek @hologram.jesus or anyone else!

See you then!

1 Like

Sorry just seeing this now. I have other plans that night from 9 pm but will come for first couple hours. :orange_heart::+1: thank you for setting this up. I’ll post it on another visualist Bay Area discord too

1 Like

…thank you for including me - at the moment it looks as if i’ll not be near San Francisco at all this month — perhaps end of september next - but i’ll let you know in case i can make it somehow this time…

1 Like

Ah I’m going to be in Portland that weekend!
Can I share this to some other folk who might be interested?

1 Like

Sorry to hear you won’t be able to make it, @hologram.jesus! But yes, please share with other folks. This is a public event — anyone may attend and/or present their work.

1 Like

I shared this forum page with a few local discords. Is there any more info that’s not on here we need to know?

1 Like