CCTV PSU Question

I am in the market for some CCTV cameras. I am unsure of the power connection required though. What should I be looking for to connect up to something like this? The DC 12V input is obviously not the usual jack connection… or is it, and I just can’t see where it would go?

I am guessing I would need some kind of wire to ‘female’ DC connector which would then let me connect a regular 12v supply, but any tips welcome!

I am guessing I would need some kind of wire to ‘female’ DC connector which would then let me connect a regular 12v supply, but any tips welcome!

i think you can just take a regular 12v DC supply, chop off whatever barrel connector it gots and screw the bare wires on like an old school passive speaker setup. I think theres like one more step regarding which wire goes where that has to do with center positive or center negative but i forget exactly whats up there. also amps probably matter too

2 Likes

Oh hey, that’s a good point. Thanks Andrei :slight_smile: I have tons of 12v PSUs kicking about that I can match the output to. I’ll need to figure out what wire is what for polarity, but that’s a great suggestion.

Just noting for anybody else searching the same question that I got it to work. I got one of these (the ‘female’ connection):

cctvwires

and plugged a 12v DC center positive supply in. I measured the output with a multimeter to confirm that the black wire was negative and the red wire positive. I wired the red wire to the + terminal and the black to the - on the camera, and hey presto.

Here’s the camera and lens:

The lens is an auto iris lens, but the camera has a manual override for focus thankfully. It’s nice and sharp. I’m not sure if I can change the zoom without a controller, but it works well so far!

2 Likes