Color drop out with TBC & circuit bent glitch gear

Hey folks,

Another episode of me posting in the help section.

I’m trying to get a nice digital output workflow going and I’m running a setup as such: RPI running recur video sample>circuit bent device>Keywest BVTBC8>retroscaler2x>HD monitor

It plays quite nicely with the glitches but I seem to get color dropout very easily, which stinks because on the colored frames I get inbetween all the dropout, the effects look great.

The TBC I have is pretty adjustable and I’ve messed around with some of the settings but I’m still not having a lot of luck improving color dropout.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas for minimizing this issue?

have you checked the signal flow in between the tbc and the upscaler to see if color drop outs happen before or after upscaler? might be something in there worth peeking at, i see that there is a filter mode on the upscaler that may or may not be adding to the issue.

otherwise if the circuit bent stuff is messing with the color burst too much, tbc isn’t going to be able to restore anything legible. it all goes back to the Fundamental Law Of Digitizing Analog Video : best results (and simplest workflow) are from pointing a camera at a CRT.

2 Likes

oh snap its the almighty andrei jay! i’ve been watching thru every goddamn vserpi video on your yt lately in an attempt to up my game with your stuff. love waave pool so much thanks for all your work o7

my device does throw colour out sometimes even on my crt but i’ve had some luck with putting a random video processor after the circuit bent device as a ‘buffer’. time to try this with the TBC too I guess. thanks for the input!