CRT BNC to COAX conversion

Hi all, this feels like a super simple and dumb question that I just haven’t been able to find the answer for.

I have a couple CRT TVs with coax F-type twist connector inputs. I have tried 2 different male/female bnc/f-type converters and can not get a signal on either TV. the TVs both take coax ftype direct out from a VHS camera I have. But I cannot convert any cameras that have BNC connectors or RCA.

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills because I can’t find any info on this on the internet.

thanks in advance!

Someone who understands the signals better than I may know why, but I know that to go from the typical RCA to the coax jack, you need a powered converter (this is just the first one I found on amazon)

4 Likes

This isn’t just a difference of connector, this is a difference of signal. F-Type connectors are typically used for RF video while BNC/RCA is typically used for composite video. Essentially, that TV wants RF (radio frequency) modulated video (i.e. broadcast over-the-air signals). You need to use a modulator to turn composite video into an RF modulated signal. This is usually a small, externally powered box, like this one: https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media/AUDIO009/ProductLarge/3014404_CCRF907R_A_HI.jpg

3 Likes

thank you very much for your reply, this helps a lot.

1 Like