Is it safe to upgrade to MacOS 14 (Sonoma)?

I’ve been running MacOS 13 Ventura and have gotten most things to work, some with dumb (or unstable) work arounds. I’m really nervous about upgrading further to MacOS 14 as who knows what new constraints Apple has inserted into their system security map? Use stuff like Signal Culture apps, OBS, Camo Studio, VCV Rack 2, Lumen, Rogue Amoeba apps, and a bunch of other Syphon related apps. I can’t afford to upgrade and have the preverbal sh-- hit the fan. So what have others experienced - is the transition to Sonoma easier than the transition to Ventura (or Monterey)?

hey there, i use mac os sonoma (on both an intel imac and an apple silicon macbook). and i use a lot of those things. (however, i also maintain an old macbook on mojave to run my black magic capture devices.) i’ve had no issues with OBS or lumen. i resisted upgrading for a long time but i’ve been pleasantly surprised by the support. of course i can not guarantee what your results will be for everything, but what i would suggest is this: do a full time machine backup of your system, then do the upgrade and test out your whole workflow as much as possible. if you run into any dealbreakers, you can always revert.

PS can’t speak to the upgrade from ventura as i upgraded to to sonoma from catalina (jumped 4 versions ahead lol)

Great. Thanks for the info regarding upgrade impacts (or lack thereof). I, too, have an Intel-based MacMini with Mojave - just so I can run the old QT Pro app (which has a built in proc amp for playback), as well as a number of other niche utilities (such as a time code reader/writer) which never made the upgrade path to the new security model.

I’m gonna take the plunge over the weekend.

1 Like

It’s been a couple of weeks since I upgraded to Sonoma and so far nothing outlandish has occured with my day-to-day video/audio apps. There are a few utliers (used infrequently) that I haven’t verified yet. And of course, some stuff requires updating through normal processes. But so far, no show stoppers.