Issues shooting screen with Fuji xt-4

Hi. I recently upgraded from a canon 5D mkii and to a fuji and am having issues shooting both still and videos from my CRT.

I’ve tried a couple of different exposure times and all I’m getting is mostly black images.

Has anybody else run into this with Fuji specifically? Am I just not being patient enough in learning my camera? Is Darth Vader REALLY Luke’s father? I hope somebody can help!

Thanks benders!

Have you set the shutter speed at 1/50? (or 1/25)

the zeroeth step of troubleshooting is always check the dumb and easy things first, so is the lens cap on?

if not then 3 main things (in order) to keep in mind wrt to shooting CRT with any kind of camera with more complex controls than just pressing the shutter button

1.like pixi said, shutter speed. PAL pals and secam folks (most of the planet) aim for 1/50 or 1/25. if 1/50 is too dark, try 1/25, if 1/25 is too overexposed, try 1/50. NTSCians (north america and east asian countries with significant history of corporate and military integration with USA) substitute 1/60 and 1/30.
things to look up for more info are Field Rate vs Frame Rate, and also you’ll still probably notice some very tiny artefacting here and there b/c for example NTSC rates are actually like 59.94. The more complex thing to look into if you are really interested in understanding whats up is Shutter Angle, maybe check here

for more info

1. if shutter speed seems to be legit and theres no light coming in, you’ll probably want to figure out how to open up more light into your lens. f-stop/f-number/aperture/iris are various words used for this. usually expressed as a weird looking fraction of letters and numbers like f/2 or f/32. f/2 lets in more light than f/32. if n<m then f/n lets in more light than f/m

2. iso. think of this as being how long each photograph/frame is being exposed. think of larger iso number as longer exposure time and shorter iso as shorter exposure times. large iso can make your images more grainy so best to tweak other things first, i.e a large aperture and small iso is better than small aperture and large iso if you have those options available

1 Like