Little glitch circuit dev help

Hey! I had an idea to adapt the concept of the rungler by rob hjordick to video based on the comparator used in the videffektor and have a couple ideas about how to implement it. I’m just barely wrapping my head around video circuits which is why implementation of logic in the videffektor was a jumping off point for me. Here’s block diagrams of the few things I’ve tried to breadboard

Both of these have gotten really cool results - glitchy mixing but with the signals having a more interesting overlay/textured effect - but I’m not sure how much work the shift register or sync stripping section is doing. Just wondering if these ideas even seem… feesible? Would love some suggestions or ideas, ill try to upload video soon

Uploading: 4CC028CF-7CD9-46D3-BA3E-EF93D1F56D4E.jpeg… Uploading: 74A29CE5-1C94-4C93-B7C2-638A9828C5C1.jpeg…

3 Likes

It’s a bit hard to tell from your diagrams, but I’m not so sure your shift registers are doing anything really. I think what you’re seeing owes more to just the comparators and the mixing.

If you’re really clocking the shift register with the same signal as you’re sending to the data input, then that data is high every time the clock goes high, so the shift register is only ever registering a high signal, and therefore only ever outputting a constant high signal. In that case, the shift register output could just be replaced with a constant 5V (or whatever the high output of your shift reg is – if it’s powered by 5V it’s probably 5V).

I’d recommend clocking your shift register from a different source than the data that you’re feeding into it. That way, no matter whether you’re using a PISO or SIPO shift register, you’ll have varying date being shifted through instead of just a constant 5V signal.

2 Likes