Midi control of r_e_c_u_r

Looking to build a r_e_c_u_r, but instead of just using the keypad to control clips/playback, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using midi to control any parameters? I have a Zoia in my rack and my idea is to use envelope followers after different frequencies to trigger midi notes to then send into r_e_c_u_r to change clips/effect playback. I know about the Yeti midi video player, but can’t find any availability even after talking to the creator. I would love to be able to have the sounds of my modular setup influence/control the playback without my input. I only have two hands…

Just saw that i_n_c_u_r is a thing, so there is definitely some options here. Trying to get a couple PCB’s so a friend and I can add that on. I can get midi into the pi via USB, but to have the midi and CV in on top of not using more USB slots is cool.

Midi + r_e_c_u_r is really awesome. I use to control midi by using the octatrack and a usb midi keyboard as the navigation through the system. It works really well sequencing the parameters or using LFO to control really opens it up.
Im excited for the i_n_c_u_r as well because of the cv in. Thats almost a step away from actually havin it mounted in the rack!

4 Likes

Thats good to hear, I am excited about it and will have it and Auto Waaave in my video case somehow.

how do you configure your midi though? my r_e_c_u_r does not dhcp when i plug network in, so i cannot connect to it that way. What other options are there?

1 Like

I’ve done it 2 ways one with a usb midi controller and mapped the buttons to the recur controls I’ve also used a usb to midi din cable to a synthesizer. Works both ways with no drivers needed.

I used to use a MIDI LFO and a step sequencer to randomly jump to different locations in a clip, with repeatable timing (LFO controlled the target time of each jump, sequencer actually triggered the jumps, so the cuts would happen in a predictable pattern, but to unpredictabl times in the clip) and it worked well but it was very easy to overload RECUR with MIDI data and lock it up if the sequencer was running too fast (and “too fast” was pretty slow, I usually started to have trouble with anything faster than half notes at around 80bpm).

Other than that, it worked really well for me.

ok, but how do we map the midi controls? I can see my midi controller pop up on the menu’s, but I don’t know how to set the individual controls to work with r_e_c_u_r.

I read that it was done via conf file, but like i mentioned, i am unable to connect to my r_e_c_u_r over the network even when it is plugged in directly, so how did you chaps do your edits ?

do you have a usb keyboard you could plug into your rpi ?

if so you can do it this way by:

• plugging in the keyboard
  • pressing . to quit recur program
  • pressing ctrl + alt + t to open terminal
  • from terminal typing nano ~/r_e_c_u_r/json_objects/midi_action_mapping.json to edit the midi map

another way you could do it is from the terminal connect recur to your wifi by typing:

• sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf the adding your wifi name and passeord (im assuming you are using v2.1.0)

or another way again to do it is take a look at the default midi_mapping and then you can remap your midi controller to fit how you want to use it with recur

I usually copy the confif file over to a thumb drive (USB keyboard/mouse like the last post), edit a copy of it on my laptop, and copy it back over, because I don’t have an extra HDMI monitor handy and it’s worth a few extra steps to not have to work on the tiny display.

Oh yeah another option is to ssh into the pi from your computer (if u on the same network) then u can edit files on the pi from your computer …

I can get the continuous control over the shader parameters to work via midi, but I can’t get the switch clips and turn on and off the shaders to work via midi. I have tried editing my zoia midi out to match the default as well as editing the json file to add a new cc number for each command. Maybe I am reading the midi commands wrong? What command is the same as pressing the switch key to change the clip and the FN+6/shader key to enable/disable the shader?

Edit: If I make any change to the midi json file all midi control stops. If I undo any changes made to the midi json file midi control still doesn’t work. I have to reflash the whole card and start over and then midi works.

default midi mapping is here :

note that by default these are all cc commands , not midi notes , so to switch a clip you need to send a cc_41 command over midi…

you can see it in the map here

(can also see in the map here that note_on 75 will switch it )

that doesnt sound right - maybe the json wasnt parsing ? you can check your edits by pasting it all in a tool like this - also you might be able to check the changes you made from original using git:

from terminal:

cd ~/r_e_c_u_r
git diff json_objects/midi_action_mapping.json

then to undo changes:

git restore json_objects/midi_action_mapping.json
2 Likes

I will try this when I get home. I was trying cc#39 for switching. I did find that my midis cable wasn’t plugged in all they way so that could have been part of the issue. The cable was super hard to press in all the way and I was afraid to break the board so I didn’t get it seated all the way the first time.