New to the a/v scene and completely whiffed my first show 🙃

I am friends with a couple members of a band and they were nice enough to invite me out to their show on the 15th. I decided to talk to all the other bands and they were all super down to let me do visuals for them. I made like a 3 hour long video and I get there and my projector just wouldn’t pick up the hdmi from the laptop I was using. Literally bummed me out so much, I just got a t420 micro and was really excited to use it but guess not lol. Oh also picked up this tbc from a church for $50 I haven’t been able to test it on the projector though so idk if it’s actually a good tbc (Kramer Presentation Switcher/Scaler 90s - Black | Reverb). Anyway they invited me to their next show on the 29th so hopefully I can actually perform :slight_smile:

Hi proxy
don’t worry. it happens :slight_smile:

here are some tips:
try to test out your equipment and cables before the show.
If you can, test the setup of the venue beforehand. (on another day or some hours before the gig)

Long (HDMI) cables are not great. use a signal amp

1 Like

…to avoid long cables i use wireless video transmitters - the delay is usually negligible; for my streams i use several Hollyland Mars 300 Pro Enhanced (to name a make)…

2 Likes

You can also try Redmere cables. I’ve had great success with them when I need a long run. Just be careful as they have a direction: a defined IN and OUT side to the cables.

4 Likes

great tip bsom, thanks

1 Like

haha yeah I know I just have been super busy with finishing my senior project. Didn’t have much time before the show to actually run my setup I was really hoping that it was just gonna work. I got it working now though! Gonna test it out with the t420 micro and a tbc tonight and make sure I can do some actual live visuals

2 Likes

A hack can be to use a signal splitter and chain together two shorter cables. It’s cheaper than a powered HDMI cable and you’ll also have the splitter (multifunktioniert). Also watch out to gaffer-tape down HDMI - the sockets are easily broken if the cable gets yanked.

…in TinkerCAD i made these in minutes and printed a few which work pretty good - the connectors are just some cheap thingies from amazon:

7 Likes

I finally had everything I needed and got it to all work at my third show. Every time is practice for the next.

7 Likes