Next steps for me on waaave_pool!

I’m blown away by waaave_pool and all the other great software included on that image! Thank you @andrei_jay!! I’m thinking that this will be all I need to get out there on the road and do some gigs in the next half a year or so at least!! (And yes, I will do my best to transform my gratitude into tasty financial goodness at some point :slight_smile: )

To that end (live performance), I’m thinking of some simple hacks to get a useful live unit up and running. I’m a coder, although I don’t have experience of OF as yet. So I’m basically after someone with said experience to help me get up and running a bit quicker by simply pointing me in the right direction for implementing the solutions I’m after.

My two essential points I think are:

• MIDI Presets. Not necessarily as complicated as it might sound. But basically an option to press one of several buttons/keys (keyboard/GPIO) to send a bunch of MIDI commands to set up a “scene” in waaave_pool for a particular song performance.

• A GUI to activate any one of the installed apps (the ones typically found on a VSERPI). Instead of booting up into waaave_pool, I’d like to boot into a view with buttons that can be used to choose an app and then launch the script from there. Ideally returning to that app when leaving the launched app too. Basically I’m after not showing the RPI desktop at any point on the hdmi projector I’ll be using.

Again, just to be clear, I’m not asking someone to implement this for me, I would love to have a go at it myself. I’m just hoping that someone can save me some time by suggesting the right route to do these things. For example, would I be better off sending MIDI presets from say a specially designed MIDI hardware (eg. Midi hub) or better off implementing it on the PI (hopefully the latter). And for the other point, should I go for OF, or some other GUI approach…

Turned out to be quite a wordy post, oh well. Cheers.

2 Likes

for midi presets i’d probably recommend using a little keypad/usb keyboard and take a look at the code. midi, parameters, & keypress actions are all fairly transparent, and all the midi controls are already buffered in arrays so would be pretty easy to save them. for bootloader, i think some folks have already worked on this one, if they don’t show up here ask in the VSE discord

1 Like

Thanks very much, Andrei. Making progress now. I have a follow-up question for anyone with a bit of build experience… I got hold of a nice wooden box to use for a live unit and my thinking is to add a keypad as mentioned above, but also an extra screen so that I can monitor what’s being displayed on the big screen behind me. Am I right in thinking that an SPI screen and HDMI out will be too much for the 3B+?

The fairly reasonable alternative is to pick up a cheap tiny HDMI touch screen and hook up the HDMI to an HDMI splitter and then to the PI (and also the touch screen cable) within said (quite large) wooden box. Then I can just expose the extra HDMI out for the projector.

So wondering if anyone has done anything similar? Cheers.

pretty much yes

The fairly reasonable alternative is to pick up a cheap tiny HDMI touch screen and hook up the HDMI to an HDMI splitter and then to the PI (and also the touch screen cable) within said (quite large) wooden box. Then I can just expose the extra HDMI out for the projector.

yup thats how to do it

1 Like