Obscure Gear Identification Thread

I’m starting this as a place to talk about stuff that doesn’t have much info available.

3 Likes

First post, some nova box with very little I/O and one massive cable. The guy who gave it to me said he’s mailing the controller, so maybe that will be more helpful, but I have no clue what this thing even is. There’s a few on eBay too.

1 Like

Never heard of it, but found this:
https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1843

1 Like

thanks that was helpful.

Looks like I have a “Broadcast Quality Computer To Video Scan Converter”

Was hoping for the TBC chip. oh well, was free.

2 Likes

I picked this enhancer up cheap last year to bend, but it’s so absurdly overbuilt (nice internal power supply, good quality pots and switches, internal metal frame with an aluminum extruded outer case, whole thing weighs at least a pound) that I don’t have the heart to drill holes in the enclosure or rehouse it. It has a model number but no brand printed anyplace outside or inside and I couldn’t find any information about it anywhere when I checked.

3 Likes

Of course they made it about 3mm too tall for rack mounting.

1 Like

FA suggests to me that it’s a FOR.A box, but I’ll do some digging later.

Edit: was wrong, looks like a FUTEK

3 Likes

Thanks! Even unmodified it’s pretty handy to have in a feedback loop, plus it’s a 2 input switcher and 2 output distribution amp.

2 Likes

Ooh Ooh I got one!

Does anyone know what this lens might go to? It reads FAIRCHILD WIDE ANGLE.
Aside from a metal band, there’s no obvious mounting hardware. I’m not well educated about optics, but if I aim a flashlight into the larger end it seems like it’s 1/2" focal length out the smaller end. My best guess is maybe from some electronics inspection equipment? It came from a garage sale around San Jose, CA

2 Likes

is there threading around the outside of the mounting end? what is the diameter (in mm) of the mounting end? also, is there a filter mounted on the other end- just wondering if there is anything that can be unscrewed to reveal any more text

heres a rear projection lens that looks a little bit similar: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-HTF-Fairchild-10mm-FLI-Rear-Projector-Lens-1970s-Japan/164806125833?hash=item265f35e909:g:M-sAAOSwpTxgcQL7

2 Likes

Ooh, I didn’t even think to check if it was threaded! It wasn’t obvious, but the small end did unscrew. I don’t think it’s a filter, but it’s another lens. It looks like the measurements are imperial, so it’s 1-1/4" diameter on the wide side, 7/8" in the middle, and 3/4" on the skinny side.

Thanks for responding, I didn’t see that projector lens when I searched awhile back, and I think that’s the closest bet so far! A friend thought it might be something to do with IC photolithography, but I think those lenses are usually much larger.

2 Likes

neat ! one thing i like to do is with security cameras that have the lenses that can be removed, i like to shoot video with no lens attached and then hold a lens in front of the sensor and move it around to get weird optical light leak patterns.

i thought it might be a c mount lens, but given the diameter of the mounting side i guess it’s too small. c mount is the most common one that i’ve found used on cctv security cameras.

5 Likes

This is awesome. Easy to forget the easiest analog space to manipulate is the distance between the monitor and video camera

3 Likes

It could also be the eyepiece for a telescope. Those are the right dimensions anyway.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ve only got one but the nice thing about it is having full manual control on the lens, unlike consumer camcorders that almost never have mechanical aperture control. makes it really nice for CRT feedback.

1 Like

thank god this thread came up. i just got a focus enhancements mx-4 w no power supply and the geniuses at focus never bothered including that info anywhere in the manual or on the device. does anyone have one that could lmk?

4 Likes

@1800HOTBEEF Did you find one? I just got an MX-4 with no power supply too. All I can find is ebay/amazon power supplys that claim they work for this unit but don’t specify barrel size or polarity. They’re asking way more than what a power supply is worth so I’m hoping to just find the specs and source one myself.