PANASONIC WJ-MX30 & 50 fixed

Hope this is helpful to someone…

(TL/DR = pretty simple fix for power and chroma issues)

I had asked some questions in another thread regarding issues with a Panasonic WJ MX30 and an MX50, but thought I’d just address this in a dedicated post.

Both boards had chroma issues (intermittently green-y to B&W), and the 50 eventually just died, and wouldn’t turn on. This is apparently very common with these boards over time. Did some research and found this dude’s videos:

Part 1: DEAD WJ-MX50 VISION MIXER PART1 - YouTube
Part 2: DEAD WJ-MX50 VISION MIXER PART2 - YouTube

So, with that and the assistance of the service manuals that I found on this site, I opened them up and tested the capacitors on the power board that he identified (on MX50 C10,C11,C18). They indeed had issues, so I replaced, and can confirm they now seem to work perfectly.

I believe the chroma issues were related to problems with the power board. This may strictly be my case though. I am certainly no expert.

Just wanted to post this to give people who are experiencing the same issues some hope. I know it would be helpful to me. A lot of people told me I should just write them off and find others that work, but it only took a few new capacitors to fix.

So thx to this community for posting links to the service manuals, and bless JVS VISUALS on YouTube. :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing ur success ! It is helpful and inspiring :blush:

2 Likes

Yes. Great work well done

If anyone has a psu board for the mx50 I’m looking for one. I fused the transformer whilst chasing down this exact problem:)
The xfo is dead. A great mixer, be awesome to revive it.

1 Like