Pioneer SVM-1000

Does anyone have any experience with these? Information seems very sparse, I have the oppurtunity to pick one up for the same price as an edirol v8 which is also available locally, which one would you prefer?

I already have an mx70 and an eyesy and a mismatcher, if that helps.

Many thanks and much love in advance!
Cheers
J

Link to Pioneer SVM-1000’s manual: Pioneer DJ

An article about it: DJmag Review Pioneer SVM-1000 AV Club Mixer | DJMag.com

Wow, this is the first video mixer ever I see that allows to mix more than 2 channels (you can mix 4). Very interesting in theory.

It has a ton of audio-related features and inputs/outputs that I’d never need in a video mixer. Looking at their size and positioning, the audio controls seem to have higher priority than the video controls. 2/3 of the panel are not about video.
More in general, this audio+video layout wouldn’t work for us; it seems more fitting for a 90s MTv-like VJing approach where one mixes music videos.
On the other hand some features and effects seem to be quite unique to this mixer, and based on its hybrid layout…those would require some study and could be interesting.

We have an edirol V8; we love that it has so many inputs and that each input has its own monitor output. Individual monitor outputs allow for creative routing through external effects or other machinery, without need for splitters. The Pioneer SVM-1000 “only” has 4 inputs and no individual monitor outputs.

Looking forward to what others will have to say!

Thanks for your post @Rabidnz and welcome to the community =)

(to all: I added the #mixer tag to this post, remember you can tag your own post when you create one)

TL;dr Interesting and quirky old beast. Probably obsolete, but still fun. Not worth the price on reverb :joy:.

Thanks for your detailed reply bro, I came back to say that I got this mixer, for the novelty and my inquisitiveness. I preface this by saying that I am fresh to this world of video synthesis in the last year(apart from milkdrop and geiss in Winamp as a teen)

It arrived in a huge and heavy hardcase, when I opened it up was covered in thick dust, but luckily the dust was acting as a protective layer, because underneath it is in suprisingly nice condition considering its age and vocation. Switched it on and it all fired up, performed the self test from the service manual and recalibrated screen and it’s good as new.

It was a blast from the past to be greeted with these very retro pioneer DJ graphics and the UI, I’m nearly 40 so that transports me straight back to my most junglist times as a youngin, who could barely afford the ticket and the drugs to go to the raves, let alone buy DJ gear, and VJing was barely a thing.

This thing must have been in production for some time before release, because the amount of really obvious stuff it’s missing makes it really easy to see why it was cursed to die at birth, and that’s not taking into account the RRP of $6k. I see why the only mentions O. The internet are from the 10 outlets or channels who received them for initial promotional review. I’d love to know the actual sales numbers worldwide.

The USB and SD slots are for uploading a maximum of 8 JPG files into the mixer, or connecting a USB keyboard for the useless text mode. :pensive:. No HDMI or even VGA is the next fatal blow. The effects are overall very naff, and the amount of control over parameters is depressingly basic, but a couple can be used, some also with the visualiser, to add some nice stuff to some basic analogue glitching and feedback. There is USB and DIN MIDI, but it is only output, which is a huge shame as it could make up for lack of panel controls. Also the pics don’t convey how huge this thing is. The video fader hard cuts at a certain point when in chroma or Luma mode, which is really stupid design.

On the upside four channels as you mentioned is the bees knees, I have only scratched the surface of the feedback possibilities of four channels plus 2 more on my other mixer. Also it has rock solid tbc on every channel. The touchscreens are very robust and while the refresh rate isn’t the best the sensitivity is, and they aren’t as clumsy as I would expect of this era, I guess these were very pricey parts at the time. The way the EQ knobs can be set to RGB or hue, contrast etc helps regain some chroma functionality, if it had been settable per channel that would have been very clever, along with the channel and master video trim makes keying easier. It has insane video and audio quality, noticeably better than the mx70 I have it paired with, and a lot of connectivity I can utilise in my small studio.

Overall I am pretty happy to receive it due to the great condition and huge nostalgia. I think a v8ex is clearly a better choice from every angle. I will have more time this week to have a proper sit down and experiment, and I will report back some pics and videos so they can remain here in case some future moshman time traveller could benefit from this info.

Thanks again!

1 Like

(note aside: please don’t bro people. those who aren’t “bros” will find you silly)

Great review about a little-known product with such big potential that could have left a mark, thanks!