Pixel art, scanlines and CRT monitors

This long article is about video game developers re-visiting the pixel art for their characters, but it also says interesting things about scanlines, pixels, displays in general, CRT monitors and their technology and aesthetics, digital techniques and filters to emulate their look, and includes many visual comparisons between pixel art shown on digital display vs. CRT monitors.

edit: related:

4 Likes

Related and absolutely fascinating (well, to me at least): <Now Go Bang!> Raster CRT Typography (According to DEC)

2 Likes

Someone recently made a widescreen mod for Super Mario World that requires a specific emulator to support the increased resolution. It also had a pretty decent shader that looked pretty good on my 1920x1200 display. Still never quite the same as a real CRT, but it’s nice to see things getting better. The scanlines are unfortunately aliasing in this thumbnail, but it looks great fullscreen!

I read something recently suggesting that black frame insertion on 120hz displays can really help with making retro games look correct as well. Maybe we’ll eventually get to where there’s a magic shader for 4k/120 that looks really damn close.

1 Like