Questions about dirty mixer

Hello! I’ve started playing around with a little dirty mixer I cobbled together with some alligator clips but can only get signal when the pot is turned all the way to one end or the other which only allows me to cleanly switch between vin1 and vin2. I made sure the pot is 1k ohm and i can get it to glitch if i just barley turn it. Anyone had this issue? My circuit is very basic at the moment as I only hooked up 3 rca jacks to the pot. Im plugging it straight into an old crt I found.

1 Like

they don’t call it dirty for nothing! i’ve only played around with a dirty mixer a little bit, but this sounds pretty much like what you would expect when you just mash two un-synced video signals together. some TVs are more tolerant than others of non-standard video signals. I know this isn’t the easiest suggestion, but if you have another CRT you can try it with, you might get better results. also, I have seen a circuit that uses some diode clamping to make the dirty mix a little smoother (basically blocking the sync pulses from one of the sources), but I don’t remember exactly how it worked and a quick search didn’t yield anything.

1 Like

Hey thanks for your reply. I was thinking maybe the crt I have has some sort of image correction feature too! Quite honestly though just by playing around with it I’ve been very pleased with the results. I’m going to see what else I can do and eventually find an enclosure for this thing

1 Like