R_e_c_u_r / shaders / DHCP - New user signing in for first time

Hi guys, first post, take it easy :wink:

I only really started looking and vj stuff recently, and i saw R_E_C_U_RBOY on a web site, and ordered a pcb from @cyberboy666 but i had some bad luck after i built it… i put the pi zero on backwards. I think i have damaged it, any way, as the screen stays white.

Anyway, while i was reading up on things, i saw that i could also run R_E_C_U_R on a pi 3 with a 3.5mm screen… i had upgraded a pi3 to a pi4 on a different project and that left me suitable device to start a build.

I bought the perfect $10 keypad and now i am video jamming

so i have a couple of questions…

1. is it possible to run a shader that takes a 360 video as an input and allows you to spin around it with the parameters? Shader - Shadertoy BETA I found this, which seems to do it for a frame.

2. is it possible to run more than 1 shader at a time and mix between them like layers?

3. when i plug my r_e_c_u_r pi into my network it doesn’t DHCP… is that normal? how do i network to it?

Thanks in advance… i am sure i will have more questions so, but i am loving what i see so far!

2 Likes

Hi @BRock , welcome to Scanlines! I tagged your post #r_e_c_u_r and #shader, added something to the title and moved it to #help. Hope this helps =)

ok, thanks, hi.

So do i! :smiley:

1 Like

hi @BRock - im sorry to hear about your pi_zero experience - perhaps it is possible to narrow down some more what the problem is ? i have heard of the screens used for recurboy being damaged / not working on arrival which also results in white screening…

regarding your questions:

• not all shaders you find on the web will work well on embedded system like the pi - but it could be worth a try - here you can find a tutrial where i explain how to convert a shadertoy shader into one that can run on recur.

• yes it is possible to run more than 1 shader at a time and mix between them - its not that obvious / user friendly to do so as this is a feature i tacked on at the end ie wasnt designed to be used like this but:

this signal flow overview might help explain how you could achieve this

in summary you would load the two shaders you want to mix between into shader layers 0 and 1 , and then load a 2input shader (such as wipe) into layer 2.now when you change the layer2 parameter it should wipe between the shaders in layer0 and layer1

Thanks I will try all these and the midi ideas over the weekend…

I am currently walking home carrying something I bought for my setup…

1 Like

oh yeah, look at where we are now!!!

I have made loads of progress since i started out with recur and now i feel like i am starting to get to grips with it. You would not believe what i have done to get this working but we are on now!

3 Likes

Ok a little run through of what I have done here… after failing to build my R_E_C_U_RBOY properly, I decided that I would actually prefer something that fitted in the 2u of rack space i had left, and chose to make my own input board instead. I designed and built the board above, with the SMD components built on to the board at manufacturing time, meaning i only had to solder on pots, thonkicons and pins. I thought I was being really smart and clever by attaching it to this MCP3008 based RASPIO Analog zero :-

But i was very very wrong, and it was down to my basic lack of understanding of SPI… all the ADC chips i have used before are i2c and I had not factored that the SPI based boards would clash with the SPI based 3.5 TFT screen.

I was pulling my hair out for ages trying to understand… I could read values off my inputs and pots, but it broke the screen every time.

Eventually, I realised that the i_n_c_u_r pcb used a SECONDARY spi channel, unlike my board. I had to rethink.

Then I found this :-

8 Channel 17-bit Analog to Digital Converter for Raspberry Pi Zero by AB Electronics UK

I had to rewrite the user_input.py to use it, but it works great with my inputs, as you can see with my video (the coloured circles are ‘timed’ by the same CV signals that run the oscillators)

anyway, I now have a working solution and I can finally class myself as an “Performance interactive sights and sounds artist” ( i will leave you guys to work out the acronym)

4 Likes