Raspberry pi 3B+ and ADV7280A-M for video capture

Hey everyone,
I was wondering whether anybody has tried getting an ADV7280A-M chip to work with the raspberry pi CSI connector. While doing some research on the topic it seems that until now only the evaluation board has been tested successfully. Also the driver for the chip is already in the kernel according to this link.

My idea is to design a small raspberry shield that goes on top of a rasperry pi and connects with the standard fpc cable to the CSI connector underneath. The design is currently ready so far. If anyone is interested i will gladly share the kicad files.
One remaining concern is whether this approach could be successful or not. If anybody has some expirience with this IC i would really appreciate your help with this :slight_smile:

yupp - @autr and i did some experiments with this back in 2019 - even laid out a test board similar to what you describe (cant find a picture of it right now but is kicking around studio somehwere) …

if i remmeber rightly it was working on some older version of rpi os then we didnt yet figure out how to get it working on an updated one but it was a while ago now… kinda parked it

3 Likes

Yes yes, our initial test worked great, but problems with the new OS - basically needed a solid chunk of time to debug. Some blockers were then having no apartment, and also losing my studio to real estate developers (Berlin is insane!), and then a 2 year project which involved working abroad. We will return to it which is also maybe serendipitous 5 years later because the new Pi5 has 2 x CSI inputs. Videomischer ahoy!

1 Like

Ah I see. Sounds like quite a journey. I hope all is well with you.

It’s reassuring to hear that this should in principle work. From what I could tell the CSI fpc connector is also standardized so you could use this board with other sbc’s like the jetson nano or lucky fox modules. But I don’t really if the drivers are in the kernel for these boards.
For now I guess I’m going to order the PCB’s sometime in winter.

Using two of the ICs for a video mixer is a cool idea! Are you planning on making this project open source when you get around to it?
Thanks for your quick replies.

1 Like

Sure, I imagine it would be open source - the synthesizer I’ve been building since 2016 has two codebases: a backend infrastructure for the people, and a frontend implementation for personal artworks as Autr. So this is hardware / backend.