Recur Datamosh/Glitch hack

I exported a 2048x1152 file from Davinci (instead of 1920x1080) by mistake and played it back with Recur. It made some interesting digital glitching, datamosh style effects.

I was able to reproduce the hack again with a different content at the same (too high) res. As it’s just over the limit Recur can still play it back albeit glitched. Any higher and she won’t touch it.

If you try it, pick content with action and movement as this creates the best noise.

1 Like

4 Likes

Ha, I like to use this slo-mo moth video sample on my recur too :slight_smile:

This is cool, do vids encoded this way significantly affect (choke) the framerate on playback compared to a more typical file?

Seems to playback at the right speed but it drops frames like crazy but not stuttering it drops whole packets of them.
It’s very keen on these horizontal colour bars too must be repeating last known pixel value in some way.
I will post process a capture from HDMI and take the best bits, and export that normally for use in Recur

1 Like

very cool! is this when using the omxplayer backend or the openframeworks ones ?

1 Like

The omxplayer though I will try the others to see what might happen!

1 Like

It’s actually the ofvideoplayer (different but jerky playback as in other vids too) and the ofxomxplayer (works best)

it won’t play in omxplayer

The two OF players have slightly different glitches. It will be nice to key and mix between them.

1 Like