Routing video signal through guitar delay

I’m pretty new to the video analog stuff and currently doing my first music video project with my friend.

I’ve recently bought Panasonic AVE7 (turns out one of the composite source inputs is generating glitch, we haven’t tested if it’s the same with S-Video input yet) and we were just wondering if it would be possible to route output (or input) signal through guitar pedal effect as below using a converter.

Would it produce any effect? Does it make any sense or is it possible at all to do that kind of routing?

The idea makes sense: FX devices for audio signals can theoretically be used with video signals; in practice, they rarely work as expected because the range of frequencies they work with gets purposely limited (to the audible frequencies range) by manufacturers, in order to minimize the noise.

IIRC there are known exceptions, hopefully someone will add direct experience and more details.

In general, we think it’s a good idea to experiment.

using analog chain audio processing on video signals almost never works as hoped because of three things

1. Sync pulses get distorted to the point where the output signal cannot be recognized as a video signal. Sync pulses are how monitors and mixers understand when a new Frame begins and when each new horizontal Line begins
  2. the Luma and embedded Chroma information gets mapped out of acceptable ranges
  3. audio processing is designed for 1 dimensional signals, video is a 2 dimensional signal mapped into a 1 dimensional signal via multiplexing

this doesn’t mean its not possible but mainly means u want to breadboard up a sync stripper and restorer first and then get the fx in the middle. Also means that you will most likely have better response from pedals that have mostly analog signal chains without any analog to digital to analog sampling going on. could be totally wrong on that last part but i have a hunch that the sampling and processing in the a2d will fuck up the encoded chroma info due to the high frequency content and the nyquist limit