Setups/workflows to capture the highest quality version of your work?

Hello all,

Does anyone have any insight into or option regarding the AJA IO HD?

Anything to look out for? I’ve got an opportunity to pick one up for 200€.

Tied to Firewire800 but will also function as a convert anything to anything standalone device. I’d like to use it to record my noodling and hardware convert to ProRes.

Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone here have experience using the AverMedia Live Gamer 2 for HD capture? It’s been out for a few years already but it appears to be one of the most affordable and accessible solutions available for capturing video in a computer-free setup. It promises up to 4K passthrough and up to 1080p60 when recording straight to microSD card, but I’ve seen one review that claimed they witnessed some dropped frames and/or washed-out color details when viewing the files, which would probably be a dealbreaker for video art stuff. Just wondering if anyone else experienced that issue because I’m thinking about putting one in my mobile VJ case to avoid lugging around a laptop+power adapter and a capture dongle just for recording in software.

For those curious, the mobile rig contains a CCTV cam, an iPod Classic full of videos, some circuit bent devices and a couple mixers (Panasonic AVE-5 + Edirol V4) outputting s-video to a Retrotink 2X-Mini, which upscales the signal to 720p (I think? Might be 480p). Then that HDMI goes to a powered Monoprice 1x4 HDMI splitter, one to preview monitor, one to projector, one to a recorder, and one free in case I need it for something else. Great stuff for performing live visuals at shows with a low profile, figure it’s definitely worth spending on a direct-to-SD device to preserve some of the gold that can emerge during those times in HD for later viewing/processing. And you can’t really beat having a big record button there when you need to get things going quickly. Would love to hear about other people’s solutions for recording video art in the wild without using a PC!

I was watching the Fugitive Dream Recovery tape the other day and I was once again blown away by the visual quality of the work. Do you remember if you and Bobby rephotographed that via DSLR or was that a digital capture?

2 Likes

the different works within the comp and the interstitial bits were made using different processes – but in general i think we used blackmagic intensity shuttle captures.

<3 thanks. That is what i remember as well, just composite video and audio straight from the mixers into the intensity shuttle. Keeping the video quality high after capturing it is all paloma, i am so bad at keeping files both looking good and not enormous.

Tbh i capture most stuff on vhs before moving to my computer. i have so many junk vhs tapes to record on to and i don’t feel like buying terabyte hard drives all the time to store hours of footage of my fucking around. But that doesn’t address anything about hd capture

For crt rescan stuff, what size screen gives the best results?

1 Like

That depends on what you are trying to achieve. A lot of people like to use flat screens, like the wega, to rescan because it is easier to frame the entire image.
having a small tv with a camera close to the screen you may be able to see the shadow mask which can be cool, that is what i tend to do.
a larger screen can still give you very vibrant images.
i would say that having easy access to brightness/contrast/color/phase controls make it way easier to dial in the image for rescanning, also consider that and not only screen size.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. There is a 27in triniton a couple hours from me cheap. Do you think that I would get good captures with that or possibly too big?

I would think that a Trinitron (especially big size) would work better than any other cheapily-available screen…no?
Trinitrons have been made in different models but some of them are super flat and square, which I think it’s critical for optimal rescanning.

Trinitrons rule and are great for rescanning. Bring a friend to carry it with you though.

1 Like