Using pB and pR as sound sources

nothing too crazy here, just some experiments with taking NTSC color information and turning into sound. i should try out with PAL sometime!

6 Likes

very cool!! i’ve been interested in exploring sonifying visuals on a CRT via electro-magnetic emissions (and trying to see if color differences can be picked up). already have the sensors from music-making/field-recording & will get started on it once i find a decently-priced monitor. i read up on some CRT analyzers (like B&K Precision 467) but they are used on deconstructed CRTs to service the electron gun rather than from the screen (which makes sense, but not helpful) – dunno if there are other tools/strategies around.

keep us up-to-date! and lemme know once there’s a PAL version to try :slight_smile:

1 Like

@comma so did got any interesting results?
I currently also try to convert composite signal to sound, tryed differt things, compostite, component, s-video…
s-video is apperently the best, because of split chroma and luma information, I sent chroma signal to an am-radio for demodulation to audio, with some interesting results, but honestly far from hearing different colors. like interesting drones sure, but I’m not quite happy yet.
I’m up to try it in a digital way now with a video capture card and touchdesigner, because analog seems way to hard to properly demodulate it.
But I’m interested in any other aproaches :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far, I’ve only captured the color information in an animation digitally. And I’ve continuously sent this data stream it to SuperCollider as Open Sound Control packets. My experiment produced drone-like sounds. My animation wasn’t structured rhythmically.

1 Like