VCR repair referals

I haven’t seen this discussion here yet but am assuming it could be useful to some folks: I’ve got a VO-5850 3/4” Sony umatic deck that needs repair. Preferably, a place within driving distance (from NYC) so as to avoid the cost and risk of shipping the heavy unit.

I had been getting a previous 5800 deck repaired at a small local TV repair shop but the knowledgable video tech retired and a year or so ago the place went out of business. So now searching online - which has not been too successful.

I have previously shipped other decks (beta, Hi8) by freight to several repair places around the country - who did good work. But again, the unit weight was 1/3 or less that of the umatic deck…

Any ideas or referals would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

i’d ask around at services that offer digitization of old video media stuffs and/or try to find contacts who do tech work for museums/galleries etc and see who they go to. would guess both of those businesses need to know someone who does this kind of work in the city.

Hi Mark, I have a guy on Long Island who’s fixed a bunch of my gear- decks, CRTs, etc. An older Albanian gentleman named Ardian Mile. His phone number is 516-796-0029. Cash only. Tell him I sent ya!

4 Likes

Thanks for the referal!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Good luck!

garibali font on the business card: how you know yr for real from long island