Video art as scientific experiment/illustration

Probably a lot of folks here have seen this already. I think about this kind of thing a lot, using abstract video as venue for real time visual feedback for experiments when one wants to look at qualitative aspects as opposed to quantitative aspects. I think one of the intentions behind this video and paper was to try to convince folks that they could use video feedback as an analog computer for very fast (like speeds of photons and voltages) computations that allowed you to examine visual structures that would be more occluded in the purely numerical zones. However this was like made with a sandin as one of the main components which was not exactly something a lot of research institutions had just laying around for working with. We are in a much better situation these days tho so i’d be interested in helping put together an experimental video art compilation that also functions as science experiments just to have something out there to show how much more accessible this kind of stuff is, and also maybe to influence more folks on both sides of the creative and scientific divide to investigate into how fruitful it can be to let these zones overlap. Is anyone else interested in this? i would not be at all suggestion producing any kind of physical media out of this, just keep it on the internets and maybe see if folks want to do screenings here and there.

8 Likes

https://uncomp.uwe.ac.uk/

also curious, if we can find more folks interested just in the video side of things, perhaps i could reach out to andrew adamatsky and see if they know of any researchers on the science end of the spectrum who might be interested in pairing up with folks?

2 Likes

i just want to add a link to Jim Crutchfield’s paper (the video is a companion to it):

and here’s a version of the same video where they are actually talking about what’s going on (the other version on youtube only has music). plus it also includes his other video about chaotic attractors.

3 Likes

Speaking of…I finally never finished the subtitles for that video. I was enhacing and syncing youtube’s auto generated ones but there are some missings. If you guys wanna take a look I’m attaching the subs file. Would be great to finish it so it can also be translated.SpaceTimeCaptions.sbv (8.7 KB)

4 Likes

thank you for doing that! i have gone through and made an edit of those captions while watching the video: SpaceTimeCaptions_pkedit2.sbv (8.7 KB)

notes:

• “dynamis” is not a typo
  • used US English spelling of “behavior”
  • i listened repeatedly to the last sentence at 13:54 - “Eventually the baby becomes quite complex” - and could not hear any word besides “baby” though it seems strange. edit: ah it is “behavior,” that makes more sense. updated my file above to correct that!

i never noticed before that they mention ferrofluid! this will be helpful to my thesis :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“behavior” not baby i believe

2 Likes

thank you both! it is much better now! i also noticed @palomakop you fix some other details, nice catchs! but i’m not sure about “dynamis”, i have to admit i needed to look it up but still. i think we should stick to “dynamics” since the word is even in the title of the paper and also makes total sense when its mentioned. what do you think? for continuity sakes?

i’m familiar with the word ‘dynamis’ in the context of physics, in this definition.

one clue i had was that it was used in the singular, like when they said “the video dynamis becomes very sensitive to…” (if it was dynamics it would be “become.”)

that said the meaning of the sentence would be mostly the same, so i don’t think changing it would hurt.

1 Like

I’ve just realized you only change for “dynamis” like twice and not everytime it mention “dynamics”. My bad! I’ll change the subs files now! Share alike! Many thanks!

2 Likes

Think of this as a video performance :yum:

1 Like

so much :heart: for Ian Stewart !

1 Like

A little newer than the original paper but this is actually the one that corresponds to the SpaceTime video with voiceover. http://csc.ucdavis.edu/~cmg/papers/Crutchfield.IEEETransCircSys1988.pdf

1 Like

thank you Kevin! i had not seen this one. reading now!

1 Like
4 Likes

hahaha oh my gosh thats insane

1 Like

There are some interesting “behind the scenes” videos you would want to check too!

1 Like