Video Mixer for HD & SD cross mixing

Heya folks :vulcan_salute:

Anyone has experience with HD-SD mixers? Or could recommend a tryout?

Currently using an modified mx10 ( vactrols on faders/joy for audioreactivity + common mods). But since my signal flow is moving on to more digital stuff atm, mixing HD inside modular is messy and expensive + lacking of only two hands. I’m looking for an mixer with SD & HD cross capabilities

I know I kind of need to ban independent audioreactivity to pure modular then, but yes it’s time to move on I guess.

Specifically observing the Roland v40HD at the moment. More like a switcher but…

• Input/output perfect
  • no effects beside keyer
  • quite massive
  • Used prices ok

Or an Roland V-4Ex

• effect section
  • internal processing at 576p
  • only has one >576p HDMI input
  • Size
  • used still expensive

Are there actually other newer “arty” video mixers like the v4ex?

Anyone has good or bad experiences, Other units in mind?

Big minus on newer stuff imo is the missing of joystick wipe pattern control like in the Panasonic MX series…

Usage:
Depends on using crt or new displays switching between mx10 composite with ESG3 PALsync or ESG3 component as main output, but as mentioned trying to find an solution to integrate SD/HD in the mixing end or completely move to digital :face_in_clouds: (with knobs)

Setup is mostly:

Input from

Component - modularLZX
Composite - modular / external gear/cam
HDMI - external gear

Output to

Composite - CRT
HDMI/component - displays / grabbing

Also never used newer mixers with pure HD feedback, im curious about that.
HDMI color processor with knobs would be super handy here, suggestions?

Kind of scared of the first gig without the mx10 cause it’s a stable companion since years, super reliable unit and easy to get clean feedback processing as a base component with it :melting_face:

I’m in PAL area :wink:

Thankful for tips, hints & traps to avoid,

Grüße from Berlin,
Kalti

1 Like

thing to keep in mind about v4ex is that all processing is done in SD, theres only 1 hdmi downscaler (meaning 3 hdmi inputs already need to be SD). the end of chain upscaler is quite nice tho. the units themselves are a bit wonky tho, and various encoders/decoders tend to crap out without very much fixability.

other roland stuff is most likely your best bet if you want performability and ‘arty’ stuff. theres more than a couple mid 00’s edirols built around the same time as v40 but with actual fx and the ability to do actual HD mixing & processing. the sony, grass valley, and panasonic hd/sd mixers are all more workstation/mainframe style beasts that are a bit too menu divey for most.

2 Likes