Visible Signals - new DIY video modules!

With the Input module there are some build-time options. Depending on how you decide to configure it each module can have either a fixed +1V voltage ‘normal’ for when there’s nothing plugged in (which would give you the offset control you want) or it can be chained from another Input module’s signal. The latter is useful if you want to send the same signal to both the A and B busses at the same time.

Direct In has a +1V normal for the Red channel, and then a chain from Red to Green to Blue. So if you have nothing plugged into the Red socket then the controls act as offsets (but positive/brighter only, since there are no polarity switches on the Direct In), but if you plug a monochrome signal into the Red socket then it will be available on all three colour channels.

The controls on the Input and Direct In both have 2x gain in the fully clockwise position, and unity gain at 12 o’clock. However it is possible to change this by modifying a few resistors if you want it to work differently.

Sadly I haven’t put much time into recording my rig - I mostly just use it for relaxation, and my video capable computer is a long way from the workshop.

It would be possible to chain two Quarterizers together manually, but you’ll need some other supporting modules. Patch the main signal into the first Quarterizer and adjust the Range knob so that it covers from 0V to 0.5V. Then take a second copy of the main signal, subtract 0.5V from it and patch that into the second Quarterizer. Finally, use a Cadet VIII to set up a comparator at the 0.5V mark, plugged into a Cadet VI to switch between the two Quarterizer outputs. Not exactly easy or convenient :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I will be doing an Octerizer, maybe in time for Christmas. The difficult part is actually working out a panel design that’s ergonomic and sorting out the best way to arrange the components and PCBs. Here’s my current prototype panel design:

2 Likes

The good news: The pre-order date is being extended! :partying_face:

Well, actually… the real news is that while I was recording the Quarterizer demo I found a problem with an occasional op-amp ringing on the 3rd input channel when there’s no input cable connected (it’s normalled to the second input channel, but it seems the PCB trace is a bit too long). I have since worked out the root cause and found a few things I can do to fix it but I now need to get another prototype board made up - and delivered - to confirm it works correctly, which takes two weeks because I live a long way from everywhere.

For those of you who haven’t ordered a Quarterizer this won’t be a problem, but for those who have I’ll send you an email tonight to find out what you want to do with your order (e.g. refund and go ahead without the Quarterizer, or wait for it to be reworked and then send it out, etc). In the meantime I’ve temporarily hidden the Quarterizer from the web site until I get it sorted and working 100%.

I am very sorry about this… but I’m also very glad I found this problem before I had the boards all made up and sent them out! :flushed:

4 Likes

Here are links (post in to similar) to the pages for 2 new Visible Signal (Spam) modules, where (will update) you can find the manuals:

1 Like

Here’s a pair of newly available 1U modules on the Visible Signals’ website :+1:t3:

1VR Voltage Reference – Visible Signals

1 Like

Thanks Robin! Two more modules to sort out then I’ll do an official announcement for this batch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A new Visible Signals module called Xorand is available now. Xorand is a logic combiner for video signals, with four inputs and five panels switches to control how those inputs are combined. It’s particularly well suited to live manipulation, and is somewhat like an LZX castle module since it uses threshold/logic (0V/+1V on/off) operations. It’s especially useful for generating control inputs for the One-of-Four video switcher module.

In other news I’ve also added an option to buy my modules with all the LM6172 ICs included - priced cheaper than the Mouser 25+ break to help keep costs down for DIYers. In the next few weeks I’ll also add the LT1256 (video cross-fader chip from the Gainbrain and RGB Matrix) and AD8184 (high performance video switching chip used in the One-of-Four) as well.

Thank you for your support, especially Robin who is officially VSig’s number one fan :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This is pretty cool I have a spare 6u 50hp case laying around that would be perfect to get starting with video modules. The cost of entry is a little to high for me but VisiableSignals price point is too perfect with a little bit of diy to get started!!

3 Likes

Welcome Vess! The hardest part is sorting out a sync generator/output encoder in your starter system. The Syntonie VU007 would be a good choice for the latter but it looks like Bastion hasn’t released it publicly yet! Feel free to reach out if you want guidance - there’s also a good thread elsewhere on scanlines which talks about ‘getting-started’ options in 2021.

4 Likes

Here’s a link to a YT playlist of a few videos I’ve made using the Visible Signals 1IF & 1LV 1U tiles with an LZX video Synth system.

Here’s a 2min video of XORAND in action, there’s a longer 15min one with a description of module & such.

Last but not least, & because all good things come in threes, here’s a video of the ONE-OF-FOUR in action.

4 Likes

Here’s a link to a new Power Distribution :zap: PCB from VSig to help expand the destinations for your +/-12V & 5V power :railway_track: