Webcam and USB Capture Limitations on newer MacOS

Using Studio Mac with Ventura 13.6 - have rudely discovered that it does not seem possible to run two USB 2.0 webcams (or composite video capture dongles) simultaneously on the newer OS. (Not sure how long this limitation has existed…) I’m trying to have two inputs active at same time (for example, two video capture inputs in OBS or two active Live inputs in SC’s Input Amp), but no luck. Seems to be an inherent limitation to the OS - some say its due to devices having non-unique names, but it seems more low level than that.

Now I’m considering trying a couple of HDMI to USBc 3.x converters as I have been told that these can in fact operate simultaneously for OBS video capture device inputs (for example). Folks at Signal Culture uses AJA U-Tap units which look v.cool but are way above my budget. Can anyone recommend lower cost units (don’t need HDMI loop thru or SDI support)? There’s a ton on Amazon priced from $20 to over $400 (the AJA units). Many thanks.

…uhm? - i am using six HDMI-USB-dongles simultaneously on my MacBook Pro M1 - no problems at all…

…i guess there is another problem in your setup…

I guess I wasn’t clear but my issue has been with trying to use multiple composite to usb2 dongles, not with HDMI to usb3 interfaces… before I invested in such, I wanted to confirm that solution works. Since you report using 6 at once on yr MBP - well I guess that pretty well answers my question in the affirmative! Do you have any make or brand you recommend? Thx.

…ha! - that is a question i just answered today on the LZX-website:

…as dongles i use USB3-dongles branded HAMA (a well know german brand) which convert up to 4K-input to 1080p output - or whatever you need…

…i also use the Elgato 4K-dongle, but this one gets really hot in use, is lagging and sometimes crashes…

…and i have a couple of the ‘good’ no-name dongles for around 10-15€ which work really well…

…now i hit send to fast…

…all dongles are conected to this CalDigit-Hub:

Great info. Thanks! I’ll update when I’ve gotten stuff ordered and my solution in place. (Since I’m sucking in Composite sourced signals, I’ll need a couple of CVS to HDMI upscalers, too.)

…for this I use some Blackmagicdesign Converters: Analog-to-SDI followed by UpDownCross for SDI-to-HDMI…

SO as an update - I came across a reasonably priced HDMI to USB3c capture unit - ClearClick “Video2USB” that has HDMI, CV, and S-Video inputs - thus eliminating a serial dongle config… Yes two of these can be used at the same time under MacOS13, but there are dependencies on setting each one up: its best to start at a low rez (“native” 640x480 as that’s my input signal source) then manually select scaling up to 720p or 1024p. They can both show up in OBS as (listed twice with same name) Video Capture devices. (You also have to set up an audio capture device in parallel to get sound on OBS.)

Now to do the direct device adjustment (of scaling) I am making use of the Camo Studio app that can make all sorts of adjustments (intended as powerful web cam interface). Although these capture devices don’t have to show up to OBS as “webcams” (rather I have them as “Video Capture” sources), you can use Camo to serially configure the interfaces (as described above).

So it works, but a little fussy. One reason I will continue with this approach is serendipitous: one of my feeds is actually a video camera rescan of my Wobbulator. Turns out Camo Studio is a GREAT app to control / adjust / tweak the incoming rescan signal. You can even adjust the relative zoom and position of the incoming frame so it’s very easy to set up the rescan and use this Camo feature to center & eliminate the edges of the TV monitor (if you so wish).

great find! Thanks for sharing. So glad to see the composite to usb-c bridged via a single adaptor!