Whats everyone working on these days?

yeah sync is dang expensive and cumbersome to work with in diy for sure. cheapo rpi solutions that work with simple colored text on black or green backgrounds for easy luma/chroma keying via an existing mixer has been my hack for anything like that.

Not working on it yet, but I’m thinking about learning Godot well enough to build myself some tools for low-poly, MIDI-controlled generative 3d animation.

EDIT: on hold for now, focusing on Axoloti and building some more hardware - mostly audio - for the next few months.

nice work! cool to see that its just about got to the point for real time cv based stuff to be applicable for video art! that stuff just works so friggin weird and wobbly

Hi Kandid. I like your video a lot. I am curious about your description, “the optical flow”. It is striking because it could mean that the incoming visual information is already stretching and twisting almost like taffy. Or maybe you think of visual information more like a gushing, unstructured energy that is “captured” by a system and then stretched and twisted by the mesh? Apologies if my question seems to be taking your description too literally. Nonetheless it is a great metaphor with roots in theories of perception.

2 Likes

„Farneback optical flow“ is a technical term used for processing of an image stream coming from a (surveillance) camera. I shorten the correct term in the title of the dance video. Farneback optical flow is used to detect where in an image are movements. The result is an bulk of vectors. Then you can use this vectors to disturb a mesh and blend the color from the original camera input back to the mesh.

Yet i am exploring different motion tracking strategies implemented in OpenCV. How i can use them in an artistic way? In some cases these tracking algorithm lost control. What gives interesting results.

Will publish the source code as part of “analog Not analog” later. But need a week to get a version with less programming errors. Thomas Jourdan / aNa · GitLab

Thank you so much for that description of Farneback optical flow (FOF). I searched that phrase, so that I can supplement your information. And now I understand a little more of your description and your video! It is fascinating to me that FOF is a method for predicting direction and speed (of any point/vector of the moving image). That means FOF is not simply displaying a memory of a past location of points of a photographic image, points that are artificially altered and mapped to the mesh. Instead, FOF disturbs the mesh based on predictions of actual future locations (“future memories”, so to speak) to be displayed! If I am understanding correctly, those predictions are causing faithful statistical distortions that are constantly corrected and updated in real time. Brilliant. Thanks.

1 Like

The Quayola series with optical flow are sure a good inspiration for your art. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Worked with contour finder, motion tracking and optical flow algorithms from OpenCV. This animation is a compilation of my findings based on a video from CalArts: Dance 2019.

Motion tracking runs on a 1920x1080 screen with 20 … 25 frames per second on my desktop computer. But uploading to a video hosting service reduces the quality significant. Even when i remove all sequences with one pixel wide mesh lines. For glich art, hard edges and 1 pixel wide lines are a style element. And this is lost in video compression. Even if you compress low on the local PC and the result looks OK. At the latest at the video hoster the distinctive features are missing.

The updated source code is at: Thomas Jourdan / aNa · GitLab

Original video: cc by nc 3.0 vimeo.com/322918472

1 Like

Thanks for the link to this Quayola Promenade video. I did not know that.

What I have noticed in my own experiments is that the movement must be slow and smooth. Otherwise the tracking algorithms lose their feature points. Sometimes it looks good losing control, but often leads to too much random lines.

This one is also very interesting:

6 Likes

Hey! I’m working on some glitch posters. I’m a screen printer so a lot of the images I generate with glitch processors, I turn into hand made screen prints, sometimes giclee prints.

I share them on my instagram portfolio if anyone wants to have a peak :slight_smile:
@eglesaka.motif

:wink:

16 Likes

A very nervous result. Matching the traffic of cars.
ulm, blaubeurer ring, tuesday, january 30, 2018, 8:56 PM CET

For the scenes in quayolas video where the color runs like a liquid, OpenCV has a code sample. I want to have a look at that in the next days.

1 Like

Looks great, I’d love to make some prints someday, my wife likes to make lino-cut prints.

1 Like

Thanks! well if that day comes, I might be able to help. I work in a screen print studio, I’m editioning other artists work too. well… I guess depends on which part of the world are you though :slight_smile:

1 Like

there’s an interesting idea i came up with that’s grown on me, and that is glitched vlogs. as in like a youtube style vlog with the camera pointed at the face walking around and stuff, but the entire video is glitched out and the content of what is being said actually sort of matches with the vibe. might post my first one tomorrow.

also, tutorial style videos gone ARG / slightly unsettling is something i want to explore.

10 Likes

@YOVOZOL I find your youtube style to be quite entertaining and fresh, with just the right amount of mildly zany mixed with a wealth of information and an honest and clear approach. 5/5, I subbed.

6 Likes

I’ve been working on videos as usual, but I’ve taken a little break these past few days to do some writing. One portion of that was writing about the making of one of my fave pieces: http://art.sarahghp.com/making-01-02-21/

5 Likes

Still mostly music, more synth programming than writing/recording right now, plus the livestream project and some old friends from one of the bands I was in back in the 00s tracked me down to try to get a sort of tape-trade style project going, so that’s another thing.

2 Likes

We started finally putting together the meta list of documentation we’ve been working towards for a while now.

push on the patch book some more next and then a FAQ section

also playing with hydra a lot lately this hacky edge detection will be the basis for a couple fun things moving forward

12 Likes