[WIP] SNOW - Analog video noise

Thanks for taking the time to create a video @Martijn & posting it up here👍🏼
The imagery generated by the Snow & seen by patching its various outputs looks great :star_struck:
I’m really excited to put it to use once I’ve built it. Where’s the BOM! :face_with_monocle:
Let the (quest of the) sourcing of the various components to fulfill the BOM begin :sweat_smile:
Dungeon explored & treasure found :rofl:

1 Like

the new pcbs have arrived.
I’ll test them and open an Order thread here !

3 Likes

ok they are tested and ready.
There are a few BOM changes , I’ll post them soon!
r34, r35, r37, r38 are now 20k, for a better pot range.

2 Likes

the updated BOM and schematics are posted on my site

2 Likes

note: it is a good idea to socket the noise transistors (2n3904 or 2n2222) because there can be a lot of difference visually & the DC offset can be too much.

2n3904 has different results as the 2n2222 as well, so it might be fun to change them and test all possibilities :slight_smile:

2 Likes

SNOW standalone test

I just tested SNOW directly on a CRT monitor with a monojack to RCA converter plug.

It works good. the snow image looks more fuzzy (which is actually very pretty)

a few remarks:

-the offset potmeters only do something when you use the comparator output (I think the offset is cut from the signal at the CRT input?)

-the comparator output does not go fully white (snowstorm) so you might have to change some capacitor & resistor values

The comparator output has some difference . it can go from dots to lines at some settings.
at extreme settings the lines get a harsher look.
so those are new features!

1 Like

I thik I’m going to nee to buy one if it can be used as a standalone now! This is the kinda generato I really wanted

1 Like