[resolved] A few issues with videos.scanlines.xyz

just a heads up that our community run video hosting on videos.scanlines.xyz is having a few issues at the moment.

trouble logging in

i updated our server to peertube v5.1.0 and it seems this has broken the auth peertube with discourse plugin_ we use to sign in there for some users… in particular users who have upper case letters in their username may have trouble logging into peertube

a fix is on its way but in the meantime if you are having trouble signing into peertube and dont want to wait just let me know and i can change your username to all lower cases for you to login

some videos are not showing / playing their full length

not sure if this is related to the peertube upgrade, or the recent server migration or something else yet but as @palomakop noticed the playable lengths of some videos are wrong

for example this video is 1:19:45 long but when you open it only the first 29:42 is playable

will take a look into this bug when i get the chance and update you here - i am quite busy at the moment tho so it may be like this for a few weeks…

4 Likes

:white_check_mark: logging in to videos.scanlines.xyz for users with uppercases in their names has been resolved

:x: : still havnt looked into the issue with incorrect lengths of some videos on here yet - but will keep ya posted on this thread when i do !

2 Likes

minor update: i just uploaded this video to the peertube in the hopes that the duration bug was only affecting older uploads (thinking that perhaps something happened to them in the migration), but it seems to be affecting this one too – the video is supposed to be 30min 24sec but only 11:32 is playable. i also noticed that this didn’t occur until transcoding had completed. very odd issue

1 Like

i have looked in to this issue a bit - the good news is its only happened to 5 videos (i guess 6 now…)

3 of em are yours @palomakop , one is @PAUL_TEMPLE and last is mine…

it def is a problem with transcoding.

as a test i uploaded the same video a few times, and each time it was “trimmed” to different length (sometimes the whole video makes it)… it seems like an error happens randomly during transcoding…

also seems to only happen to videos with large file size - either very long (my one was a feature film length) or very high def… (robins video was 10m but at 1080p i think 2gbs )

i didnt find any logs that correspond to this yet but didnt look too hard - think i will take another look then ask on the peertube forum…

btw im 99% sure that your videos were already like this before migration - i checked the video files in storage and they were already trimmed to this length from a create date last modified much before we did this - do you remember ever seeing those videos play on here at correct length @palomakop ?

hmm, i thought i remembered seeing them play correctly but it was a while ago so not sure, if there’s a create date i’d trust it. yeah the times seem to be random, i looked in the logs too and saw nothing that seemed super relevant… it could even be an ffmpeg issue i guess… asking on their forum sounds like a good idea to me!

and yea, i don’t think most other folks are uploading huge files, so glad it’s not affecting a ton of people. i just wish the software would work as it should :upside_down_face:

i have been using invidious links so that i can offer at least 1 link option besides youtube from my website, for the videos that peertube messed up. seems like a decent workaround for now.

1 Like

I’m having issues logging into videos.scanlines.xyz. It seems to suggest that I can log in with my scanlines.xyz account, but I’m getting “Incorrect username or password.” Any idea what I can do?

can you post a screenshot of how it looks ?

you shouldnt need to put your account info into the peertube service - you should get redirected to this site - scanlines.xyz to login there when you press the JOIN button:

if you made it to the login page then just press the SIGN IN WITH DISCOURSE button below username/password fields:

Thanks for the quick reply! The “sign in with discourse” option worked for me. It wasn’t totally clear to me that I needed to do that, FYI. Perhaps adjusting the warning message on that page to suggest the discourse login might be helpful for future users?

ya i thought that u couldnt even browse to that login page. since in the ui i changed the login button to just redirect to scanlines auth. how did u get there ? i can jst hide the username login section all togehter

I wish I’d screencapped, because I can’t reproduce now. I recall it looking very much like your screencap here:

I had created an account with scanlines.xyz and navigated to videos.scanlines.xyz and tried to publish a video.

1 Like

might be worth trying to upload some of these larger videos again on the peertube since we upgraded to v6.0.1 @palomakop - theres also the ability assign/offload transcoding jobs to other machines too now… could be useful for doing large batches of large/long videos

i just confirmed this issue still exists in new peertube v6.0.1

i uploaded a 1h05m talk in 720p and only the first 45m is playable… doh really strange and annoying problem…

EDIT: on second upload (after adjusting some read/write timeouts) it transcoded the 1h5m video completely…

but not sure if that fixed it or if its just random when it doesnt work,

thanks for the update and thanks for doing the upgrade!!!

i will test with some recent performance recordings of ours as well for more data

sounds good, i will try to test out some stuff as well, would be great to hear if our peertube can handle longer video transcodes now!

well, i just uploaded a 24:50 video, and it hasn’t transcoded yet but the player already says the length is 18:20 (6 mins 30 seconds shorter).

i guess i can wait till it finishes transcoding and see if the length changes, but doesn’t seem promising…

1 Like

yeah ok looks like the same issue… hmmm…

im convinced that the issue is somehow related to how we store the videos on external static object storage…

i can see that the videos are first uploaded onto the server inside /storage/tmp where they are the correct length (and this must be where the database gets its length from because that value is always correct) but then the transcoding job will copy the videos onto the remote object storage which is where the ends seem to be dropped off…

its weird because it fails silently there are no error logs reported.

one thing we could try is switching the way we connect to these external static object stores… since in recent updates i know they made this easier to connect (although unsure if its functionally the same under the hood…)

1 Like

interesting, it sounds like a good idea to try switching the way it’s connected, as long as the past videos are all fine to stay as-is!

the static storage config for peertube is a bit over my head, at least when i tried to set it up on a different install i couldn’t get it to work at all :upside_down_face: but i support anything we could do to try to get it to work!

it does seem like we are an edge case, i still can’t find anyone else online talking about this specific issue.

yea thats my thinking too. feels like it is due to something custom in our setup and this is the most obvious deviation from normal operation…

gonna try switching the storage over now so videos will be down for a few minutes - can always go back to how it was if it doesnt work with old videos

in other news tho looks like live streaming is working pretty well now - would be good to test this some more and maybe can use it for the next streaming party

2 Likes

ok so new videos are set to copy to external storage the new way… so @palomakop would be good to test uploading your SYNTHETIC FOREST video again - from what iv seen this new approach does transcode all the versions first and then copies to static object so i think this might solve our problem

for now the old videos work because i left the old connection to static object in place also… might try in future to see if we can migrate these over to new way so we dont have to have both connections there, but for now will leave it like this and see if theres improvement

1 Like

great i will test again!

also looking forward to making use of the livestream functionality :slight_smile:

2 Likes