Videos.scanlines.xyz player spinner keeps spinning

First of all, thanks to those people behind all this for taking the time and effort to build a video community and video hosting. This is inspiring and I hope to see more people around here.

For the issue: I can stream videos just fine, the only issue I’m facing is that the spinner does not go away after buffering is done:

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 13.26.15

This does not happen in Firefox or in Safari, but only in Chrome. On a Mac.

hey, thanks for the heads up. i just tested this (i usually use firefox but i opened it in chrome) and i’m seeing the same thing on my end.

i’d guess it’s a bug in the peertube software. i wonder if updating peertube could help solve it (looks like we’re on v5 and there’s a v6 available). there are some other known issues with the peertube (long videos not playing back in full) which i’m not sure if are due to our specific instance/config or just peertube in general.

@cyberboy666 do you think upgrading it would be a good idea? was it a lot of effort when you did it before?

in the meantime i’d suggest using firefox for anyone who can

1 Like

Tracked down the issue. Looks like peertube@5.2.1 fixes it:
https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube/issues/5927#issuecomment-1699554462

1 Like

cool as - yea i think its a good idea to update to v6 anyway - theres some cool new features and im also hoping that our long video transcoding issue will fix itself eventually also… (havnt had much luck with the live-stream feature of peertube working for our instance either - hopfully this might be working soon too!)

it can be a bit of a pain to update as u sometimes need to bump up node and some other packages first but i think i kept notes from last time i did it so hopfully it goes smoothly… should find some time to do this in the coming weeks…

2 Likes

can someone with chrome on mac check if this spinning issue is resolved now we running peertube 6.0.1 ?

Tested in Chrome on Mac+iOS and the spinner is gone now. Hurray!

2 Likes