Different options for contious CRT video wall

Hi lovely Scanlines community,

It’s been a while since I have posted here. I need your collective opinions to solve a problem that I am struggling with.

I am planning to build a CRT video wall. I want to have a single video input, spread out over different TVs. I am aware of the pi-wall project as an option for this setup.
However, with the current chips shortage going on, obtaining a raspberry pi is very hard. They are mostly sold out or way overpriced.

What are alternative solutions to get the same result?

Thank you!

Glitchy greetings,

CyborgJungle

Raspberry pi is about as cheap as you can get unless you can score a cheap second hand video wall splitter or a bunch of syncable pioneer DVD players for cheaper but they would probably be the same price as a £35 Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

I recently purchased an 8x8 matrix switcher (learned about them from a studio setup post from @amfas ) for just under $80 on ebay (in U.S.). Depending on how many CRTs you are using to make the wall, I have seen them up to 32x32, but of course they get more expensive the more in/out they have.

3 Likes

Those matrix switchers are great. I have in use as well. Unfortunately these will only duplicate your signal. I am looking for a solution to split my signal, which isn’t possible with just a analog chain.
But thank you for your responding!

Thank you. I might look into that. Unfortunately the Raspberry pi prices went up from €35 to €95 in the Netherlands where I live. If you can buy them at all…

I see, I misunderstood the “wall” concept, sorry!

1 Like

Keep in mind the Pi 4 has dual HDMI output, it complicates the playback but could half the price of the project.

2 Likes

Know of any resources for what software to use for a Pi-matrix? The dual HDMI outs might not actually save money if you don’t already have extra HDMI-to-composite converters lying around. Probably best to just use the Pi’s composite out.

1 Like

I am also interested in what resources/software to use for the pi-matrix. A friend of mine has been collecting CRTs to build a wall for an art installation.

Hi cybor, you can use an rca splitter to have a single video input and multiple outputs.

that’s not what’s being asked: in a tv wall, each tv only shows a part of the picture, in a mosaic-like way, and that requires…calculations

also see this reply

we also would be interested in cheap solutions for tv walls :drooling_face:

if anyone in this thread is still interested im doing a talk about how we built a synchronized tv wall on a shoestring budget next week - info in this thread - will write some more about this project here in near future also but come through for first looks ?

4 Likes