Housing for recurboy?

has anyone 3D-printed a standalone housing for recurboy that they might be willing to share the files for? thanks.

1 Like

this is something i have had in mind, but havnt got around to it.

@BastienL made a euro panel for his tho if that is of interest:

8 Likes

I’ll re-design the panel and post the gerbers once I got it tested, cause the current one has a few issues:

• the hole for the directional switch is too small so it cannot move in the XY axis

• RPi USB port is too close to the top rail, I can probably move the hole for the front USB port to the top, and move the RecurBoy board down, else another option is making the panel a bit larger to add the hole for the front USB port on the side.

Anyway, will keep you updated on the progress if anyone is interested.

3 Likes

Whats exactly the differcence between recurboy and recur?

Yeah @BastienL, this looks great! Actually I guess it just needs a bottom piece to be a portable standalone unit (and this would make it easy to switch between standalone + euro)

1 Like

@Meudiademorte recurboy is a sort of simplified version of recur, built on raspi nano (instead of full raspi), making it smaller form factor. the recurboy build has cv input and onboard controls, which is really nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

using recur with the incur add on in my eurorack. so i just was wondering whats the limitation von the recurboy… i really love the onboard controlls on the panel!

1 Like

Exactly, that’s also what I have in mind for the next CBV release. Right now I got a separate circuit for both the module and the standalone version, the idea is to have the same circuit/front panel, and use a bottom piece + power supply for it to be standalone (as it is done on BPMC Fluxus Duo, SleepyCircuit Hypno or LZX Chromagnon)

For now I’m thinking to 3D print it and use M3 brass insert to screw the panel to it, then the other thing is figuring out the power supply if the module requires bipolar voltage, but in your case, the Recurboy can be powered by USB, which is quite handy.

2 Likes

Great! Excited for that next CBV release, that flexibility will be great.

For the case, I’m thinking it would be nice to have a little opening in the top to kind of fold the USB stick + adapter back into the case (so it’s not dangling off the top).

BTW one nice thing I noticed about the raspi nano (vs. the 3b) is that it seems to work with pretty much any USB adapter (whereas the 3b is quite finicky).

Hi @BastienL, I’m curious if you got around to make the mentioned improvements to your very nice euro-panel. I’ll get my RecurBoy soon, and I will need to put it in my eurorack case, so I was hoping I could piggy back on your work.

1 Like

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a recurboy in an actual gameboy shell…

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: maybe with a custom board layout !

3 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking: Just bought a for parts Original game boy!! :rofl: No promises, I’ve got other projects but maybe one day…

I’d love to get the revised version of that euro panel.

Hi @Gnapp and @bsom

Got caught up with other projects so actually never revise the front panel and used it as is until now. Should be quick to do, mostly making the hole for the directional button bigger, then for the USB, I think there is no real way to make it accessible from the front panel without re-designing the Recurboy board, as the usb port on the RPi is quite close to the board edge, which itself is close to the case rail. Though might not be an issue depending of the use case, my unit is built using a Pi Zero W (means that it has on-board Wi-Fi), so I was mostly transferring video files over the Wi-Fi through SSH and stored them on the SD card, instead of using a USB drive.

I’ll try to get the revised panel with my next pcb order and will keep you updated, I’d be happy to send them to anyone who need one for the cost of the panel + shipping.

Funnily enough, when doing the front panel for it, I did a mock-up panel and send it to Tim for an hypothetic revision of the board :stuck_out_tongue: It’s roughly the size of the original Gameboy with a similar button/screen layout.

3 Likes

@BastienL I was just about to order some PCBs for this project since they don’t seem to be available anywhere right now. Should I hold off on my PCB fab order and just wait to hear from you?

Wow, that sounds great. I’m waiting in line to get the revised panel when you’re ready. Thanks!

Wow that looks great @BastienL !! Would you mind sending me the gerber file? I mean since the gameboy shells are on the way, might as well give it a go…

Here are the gerbers for the edited front panel, mostly made the hole for the directional switch 15mm (it was 10mm initially).

Recuboy FP_gerber.zip (15.6 KB)

Still untested, though only the size of the hole changed from the previous rev of the panel so should be good I think. Keep me updated, I’ll order some too and I’ll try to find the switch cap to test, as I had removed it and used the switch without it since then :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh actually the mock-up front panel I did was just an idea to see how the overall size could be reduced. It doesn’t fit the Recurboy board, as the board is 100mm x 100mm so the front panel I posted the gerbers for is 20HP (~100mm x 128.5mm (3U)), whereas the mock-up is 16HP (~80mm x 128.5mm (3U)) and would ask for a re-design of the board.

3 Likes

@BastienL Cool. I ordered a batch of five PCBs and five panels from JLC. But I paid for cheap shipping so they won’t be here for a while. Also, when ordering the panels, I noticed that JLC didn’t show them in the PCB preview window, which struck me as odd. It says: “File review will be completed in 4-6 hours when business hours.” I’ve never seen this before when ordering PCBs. If they come back and say something is wrong with the Gerbers, I’ll let you know.