Introduce yourself!

Hey Team AV!
I’m Brian. I had the pleasure of hanging out with @cyberboy666 in los angeles a few months back for the recur workshop. I’ve been fixing and restoring analog and digital electronics for nearly 20 years. For the past 5 or so I’ve been making art with electronics. I started mainly just using analog stuff on crts, but for the past year I been doing most of my work with raspberry pi and touch designer and using projectors as well. Definitely have a lot to learn, excited to get a better understanding of code, especially shaders, while keeping my love of analog. You can check out my work @mediapollution or www.mediapollution.tv

16 Likes

howdy and welcome @n_o_b_turner! one of my clients was just showing me the media pollution page while we were talking about rigging up some tv walls for live inputs!

2 Likes

Amazing. Well let me know if you ever want to collab on any projects. Super down and love all you do as well.

1 Like

Death to Facebook! I’m happy to be among so many talented people here. You may have seen me post in Video Circuits, or on Instagram as @televisionquest

My name is Bud, I work (or I used to) with the IATSE stagehand union in Denver, USA. I’m the head of audio for Opera Colorado and sound designer for Phamaly Theater company. After years of corporate AV I’m way more interested in misusing old gear than as intended.

I’m currently building midi controllers as an intro to microcontrollers and coding. My first one was audio reactive, and now I’m finishing a simple wireless midi controller using xbee and teensy.

I’m a wannabe synesthesiac and I love the marriage of sound and color.

16 Likes

Hey y’all, my name is Rob Feulner (http://robfeulner.com), got the invite to Scanlines from Paloma, hell of a crew so far. I’m living in Montreal.
I found my way into the video art community by playing around with open VCRs and video mixers, and well I’ve continued that process for a decade. I run a small home video label named Bleu Nuit Video which does short-run VHS and DVD releases for myself and likeminded artists. I also help organize and curate the Télépresence festivals alongside Paloma and other Video Circuits artists.
I just wrapped up a short film with some government funding, really excited to share that with everybody when the time is right. Right now I’m developing a series of installations concerning the economical aftermath of Hurricane Maria on Puerto Rico.

17 Likes

hi - my name is Sam Meech - i recently moved to Montreal from Manchester, UK. I’m not on Facebook and I tend to miss a lot of stuff, so I’m grateful to Rob @BleuNuitVideo for giving me the heads up about this super new forum (as well as opening my eyes to many other people and processes that exist in the world of video synthesis!)

I’m really interested in video feedback systems, and how they might be approached today, 50+ years after someone first pointed a camera at a screen. And why? Why play (or work) with feedback at all? So I’m fascinated by other artists’ fascination with VF, and how they incoporate it into diverse practises. I just spent two years exploring this for an Masters Thesis and making practical experiments but I still feel like a novice!

my work can be found at http://portfolio.smeech.co.uk/ and I’m @videosmithery on instagram & twitter

20 Likes

welcome @Smeech, to scanlines and the east coast of north america! i thought your name sounded familiar, now i realize it’s because i had seen your project with the Portals (and possibly other things?) i am currently writing an mfa thesis on video feedback and ideas that arose from it (which is actually the reason i’m not able to be on this forum as much as i’d like to at the moment) so i would love to talk to you about that at some point. also, montreal and @BleuNuitVideo are awesome and i need to get back for a visit some time soon :slight_smile:

edit: aha i just remembered you are the one who emailed me about using the image in your thesis! that is why i knew your name! it all makes sense now haha.

3 Likes

hey @palomakop thankyou for the welcome :slight_smile: yeah, I referenced your Bureau of Dream Recovery in my thesis (which seems to be stuck in external examiner limbo). I’ll be happy share the full thing on here once it gets rubber stamped, but in the meantime I’ll send you some more excerpts. I’d love to chat about your own research. Writing was the hardest thing I’ve ever done - and tiny in parallel to what other people write - but it’s such a shift of gears, from synthesising ideas through practice to doing it on paper. I have a newfound respect for academics!

7 Likes

Hi! I’m Allen Riley. This is really great. Everyone’s work looks amazing. I’m in Brooklyn. I first learned about video synthesis while studying in Alfred in 2010-2012. Before then, I was making no-budget fantasy/horror movies and made a bootleg copy of the La Monte Young & Marian Zazeela Dream House in my Volvo station wagon. Now I’m into all sorts of participatory / environmental / instruction-based / dynamical methods of making video. I made a video feedback arcade cabinet called Videofreak that lives at Wonderville. My not-updated website is allen-riley.com.

13 Likes

Hi Scanlines!!
It’s great to have another online community of video enthousiasts! I was just tipped to here via the Video Circuits fb group. Already seeing a lot of interesting projects around here.

So I’m Roel from The Netherlands, my background is in (electronic) music (composition, performing, sonic design), but this also triggered an interest in video art. Did a nice amount of live video performances at dance and modular synth events and recently started building audio/video installations, check here. Regular updates can be found on my instagram.

For creating video I only use old hardware at the moment, so CRTs, mixers, processors, cameras for feedback, testsignal generators, etc. Want to dive into vector synthesis and video synthesis, that’s something for coming months.

7 Likes

Hi people!

My name is Ivan Marušić Klif (Klif is a nickname → it makes a lot of sense since here there are many many Ivans). I live in Zagreb, Croatia.

I am new/old media artist doing mainly AV installations and objects. I collaborate often with other artists in wide range of activities - collabs, performances, theatre and dance productions. www.klif.tv

For more than 10 years I am slightly obsessed with video raster manipulation - it all started with a series of wobbulators, and continued with oscilloscopes and lasers. I made a freeware REWereHere - scan processing app/patch that displays and manipulates low resolution raster video on analog oscilloscopes using sound card as output device. I am one of the creators of Vector Hack festival (with Derek Holzer and Chris King). REWereHere | Facebook

My biggest love would be hybrid digital analog setups - usually digital control of analog devices - i did a lot of MIDI and serial RS232 control (pan tilt cameras, switchers, mixers); hybrid devices like wobbulator with max patch front end; MaxMSP patches for oscilloscopes - REWereHere ans FontSynth patch…

Thanks to everybody involved in making this website <3 . I am really looking forward to moving from Facebook… it consumes way too much of my time and energy :slight_smile:

15 Likes

here’s the link for vectorhack festival www.vectorhackfestival.com

6 Likes

Hello World, it’s Andrew Schumacher

Love the idea of moving away from FB.

I am a glitch artist that uses refurbishing analog feedback, photogrammetry and 3d printing as part of their workflows.

Trained members of the public in media production for the last 2 years. That organization lost its contract with the city of Minneapolis, plus COVID. Now I am refurbishing MACs with RDKL Inc part time.

GAC inspired me to take the journey that I have. Unending gratitude to the community !

20200218_000105|666x500

10 Likes

Hi ya’ll, I’m Mars, living in NYC, artist shut-in person. I’ve been doing collage and glitch art since like 2011ish or so. I went to school for film but hated having to herd cats and endlessly plan to get simple ideas executed, so I became friends with the cartooning and fine arts kids and got into stuff like Brakage and other abstract video art. I got into the practical special effects side of things, did projections for some bands and spent awhile living/helping/projecting at Aviv while it was open, and have been off and on helping friends with bands who need lightshows, and doing small record club gatherings in my apartment, but no more :(. I’ve been collecting SD gear and making music video mixtapes for fun, mostly focusing on camera feedback, found footage, and glitch. Before that i was doing codec glitch work and making sound collages. I really want visual albums to come back!!! I’ve also been working with RTC Corrupter to live corrupt sixth gen game titles to use as fodder for collage. Love the look of low rez fucked up textures and isolated lowpoly geometry! Really excited there’s a place off facebook to talk about this stuff that site’s been driving me nuts.

I work part time in a union at The New School and have been working remotely for two months and have been kicking around the idea of starting a label for releasing long form glitch and abstract works work on VHS, I have all the equipment already. Think, like, those meditation tapes that were 60 minutes of fractals, only better.
Here’s some art, the tumblr is years dead at this point~
https://vimeo.com/sorensenjunkert

11 Likes

Hi all, I’m Thomas! I’m a sound artist, using test equipment, circuit-bent gear, and modular synths, very hardware-focused. I’ve been working for synth companies for the last 12 years, including Bleep Labs, Darkplace, and 4ms (with occasional moonlighting for LZX and others). I sometimes perform a/v sets incorporating video synths and mixer feedback, and I am a facilitator at the Synth Library in Portland, part of S1, where we teach workshops, host events, and provide community access to audio and video synthesis tools.

Mostly here to lurk and learn!

11 Likes

welcome new humans! thanks for saying hello.

@Mars_Sorensen nice to see you here! i will be moving back to nyc in not too long (though i too am a bit of a shut in, even when there is not a pandemic happening)

@mrfang synth library is awesome !!

5 Likes

hey folks, i’m ted, based in basel switzerland, and happy to join this thematic community. obsessions include glitch, visual feedback, vector displays, generative graphics, new + newer media, tool building, foss, real-time rendering, networked signals, live-coding, + moar! all in rotating order of front burner excitement.

love following the process of media experiments and sharing resources for enabling projects = looking forward to the exchange!

15 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Mauricio (Mauro Contreras on fb/Video Circuits - @mpcxlii on ig). I’m originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina but am now based in Norwich, UK. Got into DIY electronics around 8 years ago, mainly building synth modules for audio purposes. 5 years ago I stumbled into Chris Konopka’s work somewhere and down the rabbit hole I went. I’ve been exploring the analog video realm, doing video art, live visuals, music videos and installations ever since.

I am super interested in all kinds of feedback and glitch art. Currently trying to get more into circuit bending for an enhanced glitchperience! Also debating whether or not to finally invest in some LZX.

Besides enjoying the wonderful world of analog video, I work full time as a molecular biologist studying plant immunology and plant-microbe interactions here in the UK.

Thanks for setting up this community. Super glad to be able to slowly migrate away from Facebook. A lot of the artists I have been looking up to for inspiration over the past years seem to be on here <3
Looking forward to participating more in this new virtual space and seeing it grow!

14 Likes

hi there new people! welcome to a zone

@Mars_Sorensen howdy neighbor, we are working getting our own private streaming thing set up over here in the interest of having a semi regular curated stream shows, maybe yalls would like to put together something for that sometime?

7 Likes

I am Adrian C (FB), or Aladan (LZX and other forums), or Visible Signals - the latter being the ‘brand’ for the DIY video modules I’ll be offering in the next month or so, now that things in the world are starting to settle back to normal a little bit…

7 Likes