Introduce yourself!

Hi everyone! My name is Lukas Zapereckas and i go by name of Vhs lord. I already know some of you, but am eager to get to know more people who are into this!

Im relatively fresh blood in the glitch art. Been doing VFX, 3D, ETC for movies, but during one project i met this vfx artist eho also is a vj. He lend me his panasonic ave5, then i found out Karl Klomp’s web, and like anyone else of you, start falling down to the rabbit hole.

Three years have passed since then, and it feels like glitch art gonna stay forever in my little world. Now i am building my first experimental device, and trying to make an audio-visual performance rig. My tools atm: 2x ave5, 2x dirty vid mixer, touchdesigner, nukex, bunch of old cams, and shitloads of old tvs. I really enjoy mixing software based effects with hardware based stuff.

Thanks for creating space for community outside facebook. It is the best move yet!

8 Likes

hi. I’m Tim - on Twitch & Twitter as deSolidState. I’ve been making glitch and experimental video very occasionally for years. In the last few years I started making these media more important in my life AND in the last 6 months have jumped into real time video feedback with both feet.

I love to find new ways to glitch things, I have too many projects and I’m trying to be a sponge.

still from a recent live session.

Technologies I love these days:

Glitch images:
Gimp
Audacity
hex editors
text editors
sed

Video:
r_e_c_u_r
OBS
Handbrake
Edriol V8
EasyCap video capture cards
VGA monitors, cheap webcams, other hacky shit.

About to start making glitch circuits and always looking for more hacky shit to play with

10 Likes

Hi I’m Bill Wiatroski (AKA db AKA Dirty Bill aka Grumpy Uncle Bill),

Looks like a great group of folk are assembling here - thanks for setting this up!

I’ve been interested in Video Art since the early 80’s when I was in a high school TV production class and discovered video feedback, and thence Nam June Paik et al. TBH Fluxus was as big an influence on me as Video Art, but I remained interested over the years while pursuing various visually oriented professions: film and video production, photography, 3d animation, game design and testing, feature film exhibition.

When I found out you could buy a commercially made video synth in 2013, I got a modest setup and began exploring again in earnest. I’m happy to say I think I have overcome my Video Mixer addiction! :smile:

I have been performing out since 2015, and currently visuals host of Resonant Frequencies, a monthly electronic music open mic night (now streamed).

I just like making cool looking stuff…

!

15 Likes

Hi there, I’m Facundo Daguerre (aka derfaq) from La Plata, Argentina. I’m an Arduino hobbyist.

I admit, I wasn’t really interested in the video until about 3 years ago. Back then I had quit my job to have the time to dedicate myself to a personal project that I had pending since high school, a digital dimmer. From that project I deepened my knowledge on Arduino, timers and frequency control.

When I was running out of resources, I committed the irresponsibility of bringing the cell phone camera too close to a flicker LED, by chance I discovered the Rolling Shutter effect. From then on I am obsessed (healthily) with this phenomenon.

I created a library for Arduino, which allows to easily make visuals using Arduino an LED and the camera of a cell phone or a webcam.

I think that this project can serve to bring new generations to this wonderful world of video art, glitch, DIY circuits, augmented reality, etc. There are a lot of things to do. I am excited that there are so many talented people here and such a great atmosphere! I look forward to sharing with you experiences and thoughts on this and other things. Thank you!

13 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Benj Braman (aka Amethyst Seer) and I am a multimedia artist and musician based out of Phoenix Arizona. I’ve been working with various forms of video for almost 20 years now. I started with traditional animation moved into 3d modeling and found the immediacy of working with video much more fun to work with. My day job involves a lot of editing video at a computer so being able to work with hardware video mixers/feedback tools such as the great Waaave Pool, BPMC Fluxus, AVEmod, Spectral Mesh and Recur is a much more meditative and rewarding than plugging away at Premiere. I am pretty deep modular synthesis,and have way too many synthesizers and drum machines. I am just dipping my toes into MAX and Orca.

Here is a recent music video I completed for Skymall

Very grateful that this place exists!

9 Likes

We are Nichole and Paul Pichon we do stuff together on an island in southwest Florida.

Together we coordinate two after school programs with 60+ kids from 2nd grade through seniors in high school. We have been working with some of our kids for more than 8 years now.

Nichole is the founder and president of Pine island Playhouse our local community theater group. We have put on 44 different shows in the past 7 years and after starting out with just $100 of our own money now we are just about to buy a main curtain :slight_smile: . The thing that sets us apart is that we have always been a pay what you want theatre.

Eventually I’ll get my ciat-lonbarde system put back together and do some A/V stuff rather than just V

this is a video synth we made

Scrawl came about from the idea that we have access to a bunch of projectors and RGBA mixable movable DMX light are very expensive. So I started thinking about a RPI RGBA spotlight application. I want to thank @andrei_jay as waaave_pool is the platform that I started with and I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am now without his work. Scrawl ended up being a whole lot more than a simple spotlight though. I’ve got some more synths you can read about as well as a bunch made by other people in the link posted below.

here is a post I put together about raspberry pi based video gear (already out of date haha) that I think I’ll end up posting over here as it seems like a better home. This gives more information about most of the current open source RPI video units.

you can find our video output here
https://www.instagram.com/nicholepichon/
I mostly use it as a patch notebook of sorts tagging the modules I’ve used so I can come back to it later

I’ve been playing with rotation within rotation and painting with memory palace lately

here is a post I’ve been updating (just hit a 32,000 character limit :frowning: ) for a while now about our adventures in video synthesis split up into different topics.
again this may be something I bring over to this forum as I’ve got to restructure it anyway now that I know there is a character limit for a single post

@cyberboy666 thank you for getting me interested in RPI synthesis with r_e_c_u_r a while back! I don’t know that I’d be releasing and video synths of my own if it weren’t for you

@palomakop thank you for making this possible. It seems like we have a pretty awesome group here!

@schaferob I’ve really been enjoying your whiteboard videos! I don’t know that the circuit side of things will be something I dive into but it is very interesting to watch.

I’m looking forward to our group efforts in videoland

13 Likes

welcome, thanks for joining, sharing all these resources, and already contributing to the wiki section :slight_smile: your presence and energies are much appreciated!

4 Likes

I’d love to put something together!

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

Really happy to be here, I came here from the Video_Waaaves and Recur FB groups, glad to not have to go on FB anymore if I don’t have to.

My name is Mike Stoltz and I am an experimental filmmaker/artist. I got interested in the moving image coming from DIY Music and performance, and started with video but have really concentrated on analog 16mm film for the past decade or so.

I also teach visual arts and media at UC San Diego and am a cooperative member at the Echo Park Film Center here in Los Angeles.

I have been really excited about video synthesis and RPI tools as a way to work generatively, since so much of my film work involves precise work like editing, re-photographing, negative cutting, etc etc. It has been great to generate hours of material and to be able to zone out while doing so.

I am scheming to combine some of these tools with analog film to create hybrid works/performances.

13 Likes

That is extremely cool

3 Likes

ey swayel, i’m jakob! i live in musqueam and squamish territory. i rock a recur, wjave5, jvc corrector, TRQ, and a visual noize enhancer by statikstramentz. i have some brain injuries that make make me have some trash executive functioning and i struggle alot with coding and software based stuff so i’m pretty much in it for analog right now. i’m in university getting a degree in legal studies and indigenous studies so this is a big hobby and lately it’s been superceded by my obesssion with building peter blassers paper circuits, ha. i’m a pow wow singer and dancer and also sing with a few west coast groups

thanks!

14 Likes

HI there,

VanTa from Spain, based in Berlin since a while.
I do visual output through many mediums. Mostly Computer Graphics but also analogue video, etc.
Here some links:
vanta.xyz
Digital Insta
Analogue Insta

8 Likes

Rad! do you have a link to any of your work?

1 Like

Hi!
I am George , nice to meet you!
I am 28 and from Northern Ireland. I got into video synths from playing modular synths. I am very happy and excited to learn more. I have toured and performed as a drummer in bands for around 10 years now and been interested in synths for around 7 years. I started DIY kits around 5 years ago and now i am starting to build my own PCBs and expand into audio and video circuit design. I hope i can help people with their projects and i hope i can learn more about video and art in general from you!
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi all - I’m Colin, a musician/programmer from Austin, TX.

I got into video like… a few weeks ago :slight_smile: Here’s a thing I made as my first attempt at both Lumen and the shbobo shnth (weird programmable synthesizer).

Looking forward to experimenting with both of these and learning more!

Edit: I have a spare Pi sitting around, so I’m pretty excited to check out the different FOSS software that exists for it, but also have a lot to experiment with just in Lumen still!

Edit #2: Might as well share some fun hydra patches I made when first learning about visual synthesis!

8 Likes

Wow this site is an all-star team. It’s humbling being here!

I’m David (@boilingsky on IG). I’m based in LA and was just getting out in the video community when The Troubles began. I went to school for experimental film, then basically ignored it entirely until December '19, when I impulse bought a Vidiot. I took @cyberboy666’s recurboy class at coaxial in… February? It was the first time I’d ever built anything electronic. A couple weeks ago, I used my stimulus to buy a V4 and a BPMC Premium Cable.

I’m interested in using glitch, synth and other analog effects in narrative projects, and have used my quarantine days to work on a feature incorporating these practices.

9 Likes

Hey All,

I am Rob Toner currently in Brooklyn, NY. I work at a Gum Studios, a film/tv Studio in BK for my day job and have been messing around with my mixers for a hobby on the side.

I met a few of you all a couple years ago at the amazing Télépresence II.

Happy to be a part of the group. Here is a selfie using VIDEO_WAAAVES by @andrei_jay

9 Likes

Hi, I’m Justin from Philadelphia, PA. I do sound and tech stuff for a small venue here and also rent PA gear for basement/warehouse parties. I spent a lot of time researching experimental film and video work 20 years ago, but it was all out of my reach and not connected with what I was doing professionally at the time. A year or two ago, I ran into someone doing glitch video visuals for a show and decided to try my hand at it. Technically, my goal is to create a sound reactive video system. Aesthetically, my aim is something like a glitchier version of the legendary Madame Chao public access show-- sample heavy. highly kinetic, and sensorially overwhelming. Right now that takes the form of a few Roland V-4s routed through a matrix switcher that lets me send inputs and outputs among various composite standalone glitch, synthesis, and playback devices. While the effect I want might be easier to produce via pure software in something like Max, I find dedicated hardware helps me focus my ideas better-- and I prefer a less digital look. I am interested in computer control over some of the hardware, though, particularly using MIDI to control the Roland V-4s and P-10s, and using a computer-to-CV interface to control LZX modules and other eurorack devices. I’m really just an ambitious hobbyist at this video stuff, so I hope to learn from some of the excellent artists posting here.

7 Likes

Hi everyone! Just had a friend point me to this forum and I’m excited that immediately I see a ton of artists that I’ve followed on other platforms.

My name is Austin Slominski, I am an artist previously from Missoula, MT but now in an MFA program in Denver, CO where I’m trying to find a balance between making visual tools and making music. I went to school to learn music and sound, fell in love with visuals and spent some years performing visuals in a great Montana diy scene. Sounds like I’m in good company loving feedback effects and live art

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrEt2N0nREs/?igshid=h9xy0wiscas0

A few years ago I started dealing with a repetitive motion strain injury that I still haven’t been able to kick, so I’ve spent a while relearning how to create things on the computer hands free (using a great tool called Talon) and have been really drawn to making tools that are easy to improvise with. I’m currently working on a webgl toolkit called camogen that I hope to use in performance with some live coding music.

Between in a new place and being in quarantine, I’ve really wanted to find a place to talk with people, so it’s nice to meet you all.

13 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m a video engineer by trade focusing on streaming media applications that deliver video bits to all of your devices. I’ve been curious about video since I was a child and really only had television to help me break out of my small town.

This whole COVID situation has me exploring my interests in analog video, glitch, and circuit bending. I just picked up a videonics video mixer, a glitchart.com Fritz Decontroller, and a work-in-progress r_e_c_u_r raspi sampler to get my visuals going. I found this community through the r_e_c_u_r facebook group and look forward to connecting with you all <3

Here’s my first video glitch on the VM-1 using my PS1 and FF7 as a source (because that’s all I have while I wait for my composite raspi cable).

10 Likes