Introduce yourself!

I dunno whoami in diese kontext yet. m.ontr.eu/x but will get back 2 U when I know.

3 Likes

howdy folks, greetings from texas.

i am cinema.av, a video artist and general av hacker of sorts. largely in analog, but have dove quite deep into digital methods for live performance when that was a thing. certainly do miss touring and those long after-hours events. for a more detailed description and occasional public update: https://cinema-av.tumblr.com/

10 Likes

EDIT: since this is pretty old and out of date, wanted to add that I’ve been doing weekly livestreams on Tiwtch with the project I describe in the post. Eventually I’ll upload all of them to Youtube. The setup has changed a bit but is still basically the same idea.

Hey, Morgan here. I’ve mostly focused on music but I’ve been interested in video for a long time, it was just inaccessible until a few years back when the broadcast industry went full digital and all of the SD analog equipment got dumped onto the market for next to nothing. Still figuring out a voice, like a lot of people I’m taking inspiration from turn-of-the-millenium imagery and tech but not in a “retro” way, really. To a degree it’s practical, since I like to use found footage and 90s graphic design, videography, CGI and fashion has a lot of saturated, brightly colored, visually simple elements that work really well with keying.

I’ve got an online-only live duo going this year and I’ve started to integrate some video into my side of it and livestream our weekly sessions (this was our third stream with video, but the first one we did on a service that retains the VOD indefinitely, and being able to juggle improvising video and music is still very much in its early stages for me), which is great since I haven’t been able to perform live locally very often since I started doing gear-heavy solo work instead of playing in bands where I could load a couple things into the drummer’s van and be done with it.

Found my way here from the r_e_c_u_r repository on github when I was looking for a more flexible alternative to a pile of VHS tapes and VCRs for playing back prepared found footage. I like the scale of this place, everyone seems really positive and friendly, and you all seem to be doing the sort of things I like, so I’m really glad I learned about it!

7 Likes

Hi, I’m Andrew / @allthesixes666 on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/allthesixes666/

You may have come across me if you’ve looked at Vectrex’s and oscillographics… here’s the opening talk I did at Vectorhack in 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSEaVEGdiE - I’ve also spoken at a few other UK events and conferences over the last few years and did the Artists Residency at Signal Culture in 2018, too.
That Vectrohack vid kind of covers a load of stuff I’ve been up to up to that point.

Recently I’ve been getting a Rutt/(Cad)Etra/LZX system together over the last year or so (hoarding a few Tektronix scopes, sorry), and also getting stuck in to video synthesis with Cadet, Castle & Reverse Landfill gear - as well as looking forward to Syntonie’s recent euro modules he’s just released (I’ve not quite finished putting them together yet).
The most recent video stuff I have done was in support of DJs and musicians during this COVID chaos around the IvyLab 20/20 LDN Recordings label (search them out on YouTube, I did #3, #10 & #12)

I also run the Brighton Modular Meet (which we had to cancel this year…) and wanted to host Video Synths right from the get-go in 2012. Alex Peverett was the first person to bring some video gear along, and since we moved the event into a large arts centre, I’ve hosted a ‘Video Circuits’ room and run DIY build workshops from Chris King, Alex Peverett and Bastien Lavaud/Syntonie.
Hopefully next year we can run the event as usual and I’d love to get another workshop from Bastien as well as bring Reverse Landfill over to the UK too.

I really hope I can spend more time in Scanlines than on fb, so a big thanks for setting this up!

9 Likes

i’m so excited to see both familiar and new people on here ! welcome @TubularCorporation and @allthesixes666 !!!

3 Likes

I guess I forgot the obligatory gear list. Right now I’m using a Sony EFX-100 as the hub of my system. I’ve got a 3trinsRGB+1c on input 1, a Raspberry Pi running r_e_c_u_r on input 2, direct feedback from the PGM2 output into the Aux in, and a late 90s Sanyo CCD security camera with a mechanical zoom lens and wide angle adapter running into the R-VTR input (which is only available as a source on the monitor out, not in the switcher itself). The monitor out is fed back to the video in on the 3trins so I can use the EFX-100’s monitor source matrix to feed the CCD camera, the PGM out or any of the inputs back through it. I’m controlling r_e_c_u_r with a 48 key keypad and sequencing parameters via MIDI from a Midibox SEQ v4, but that’s still in the early stages. The next step, once the PCB arrives, is to build a breakout box for the 3trins with a reverselandfill triple comparator in it and all of the patch points for both broken out to mini banana jacks.

Later this year I hope to add a PiCapture board and build a case that can hold the RPi with r_e_c_u_r + i_n_c_u_r with all of the connections broken out to panel mounted controls and jacks, possibly with a second RPi in it to run something like Waaaave_pool.

Then maybe next year I’ll dive into the DIY LZX modules. If I hadn’t lost the steady seasonal freelance audio editing work I’ve been using to fund gear for the last few years when the pandemic hit I’d pick up a Visual Cortex this winter and build out from that, but my budget is going to be pretty low for a while.

4 Likes

Hey! Way late reply - here’s a bit for felix baran - YouTube

4 Likes

Really nice feedback at 5:20

2 Likes

Hi !
I’m Reverselandfill, Martijn for friends :slight_smile:
Currently I live in Italy, but probably will move back to the Netherlands at the start of next year.
I have been working with video for about 25 years. especially with camera / machine feedback in combination with old mixers, effects and colorisers.
The past 8 years I dove into (DIY) modular synthesis, both audio and video.
Now I’m into making audio and video modules. You can read about them on my site:
https://www.reverselandfill.org/

12 Likes

Hi, this is Cheyene. I co-founded a “video band” called 75Ω in late 2014, and am the current active member. I live in mountainous Manitou Springs, CO & I can sometimes be spotted doing live visuals for experimental and DIY shows in Denver & Colorado Springs.

I derive joy from using old A/V gear the “wrong way” to generate signals for video synthesis.

Coral-Reef-(pink) third-eye-pink RED-WEX

12 Likes

Hey, I’m mostly done with your triple comparator board, just waiting to get a couple components I didn’t have on hand until I’m ready to make a big parts order for a bunch of projects, to save shipping.

I’m going to wire all the patch points off-board to 2mm mini banana jacks and put it in some kind of case with a mini banana patch breakout for the 3trins.

3 Likes

that wooden device in my picture (at the edge of the table) is a 3trinsRGB wired to 4mm banana jacks. it also features the comparator + the LZX expander
Bananas are the best way to patch live, in my opinion!

3 Likes

I really wish we had more video banana synths

I’m really disliking stackable cables more and more but bananas don’t fail me in the same way for some reason

1 Like

Hey everyone, 100% on board to avoid the blackhole and time dilation of fb and devote time to somewhere more enriching.

I’m James, aka No Burden and live in queens, ny. Been a musician for a long while which has recently transformed into future music and art by going down the modular path and only in the last year more significantly focusing on Video synthesis after finding many of the GREAT open source projects many of you have created. much of my system has only come together since the start of the quarantine. Before I’ve played a few of the Warper parties in BK with solely a 3trinsrgb+1c. Since got a mixer, r_e_c_u_r and just added waaave pool. I also have a medium sized eurorack and an upright bass and a banjo from a previous life though i’m not a banjo player.

Like some of you folks, I also work for ViacomCBS over night baby sitting the network. In school I studied electronic music and broadcasting and “trees” A big part of the last years in school was creating a TV club in a school that pretty much just focused on Radio. I was always into editing and just getting together with friends and making fun videos. I remember the first time I pointed my parents VHS camcorder that was plugged into the TV at the TV and saw a new dimension that it created.

Pumped to see where this community goes.

Here is an old video I put together one afternoon many years ago.

7 Likes

FTFY

Banana is the best.

I chose 2mm for the 3trins because I have a Kilpatrick Phenol and some day I’m going to build some CGS/Serge stuff, and I want to make it harder to accidentally burn up the 3trins. Also space.

1 Like

I was in Manitou Springs years ago and loved it. It’s so cool to hear about A/V performance happening there!

hey everyone, I’m Rew. I’ve been VJing since 2016 but I have yet to dive into video synthesis. how I miss live music! I enjoy making audiovisual 3D animations, and recently I finished an audiovisual performance and visual album using Ableton and Unity. I’ll link a video from it here.

I live in Columbus, OH and used to live in Pittsburgh, PA. I do a lot of videography and video editing for $ - I’d love to know who in here does freelance video production!

6 Likes

I’d love to get in to freelance video editing. I’ve done audio editing and mastering (basic stuff, spoken word and podcasts - I don’t have the budget for the monitoring environment I’d need to be comfortable mastering music professionally) professionally off and on for years but other than some simple video effects for a music video last year I haven’t done anything with video yet, and I’m not really sure where to start with that (the music video job found me).

3 Likes

Been lurking here for awhile — hello! Just re-read this whole thread and got lots of inspiration from you all.

I’m Evan and I currently live in Los Angeles. I first started exploring realtime video worlds in the form of videogames, and in the past decade or so via synthesis + feedback. Really interested in the intersection of all those things + music.

I use lots of tools: old game systems + video gear, modular (lzx + audio), mixer feedback, 3-trins, recur, lumen, ebosuite, etc. Over the past year I’ve been doing lots of noodling with @andrei_jay’s amazing raspi softwares.

I’m almost always focused on the interplay of audio + video systems. Many hours have also been spent getting lost in the dark arts of video capture.

I spend most of my hours (work + not-work) engaged in various capacities with video, music, videogame stuff + animal rights issues. Grateful to have this community of talented and supportive people.

Lots of vids on my Vimeo (mostly slow burns, like me). Here’s a recent-ish one:

10 Likes

Changed my username from smilingoff to BleuNuitVideo cause why not.

2 Likes