Introduce yourself!

heyyawl, im jonCates. i created this idea called Dirty New Media Art involving alot of analog and digital systems and realtime performances. (people often just now refer to it as Glitch Art.) you may be familiar with my friends and former students who make this art because i also teach. i created the New Media path of study at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. at the School i also founded the Phil Morton Archive, releasing early Video and Media Art of the 1970s via the concept of COPY-IT-RIGHT. you might be familiar also with the Sandn Image Processor, an analog computer optimized for processing audio and video signals that i preserved and reintegrated into the curriculum of the School, or the plans for that device, called the Distribution Religion, which is proto open-source hardware, that i released with a project called criticalartware. i also curate all of this kinda art, including Glitch Art, at places like Ars Electronica and online, having worked with alot of folks over the last 20+ years. most recently, im making and releasing the Glitch Western called 鬼鎮 (Ghosttown) in a series of films and games: http://ghosttown.online
looking forward to the further conversations here on scanlines
// jonCates
http://joncates.com

13 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m James Lehman
I am a visual artist. I paint, mostly acrylic on canvas. I love math art! I also design and build speaker systems.

Perhaps some of you know about my free open source application called LaserBoy. It is a full-featured 3D 24-bit color vector frame set editor that allows you to read and write a variety of file formats mostly for use in laser projection (but other things as well). It can export laser frame set animations as multi-channel wave files that can be played through a DC modified sound device to produce ILDA compliant laser control signals. I also offer a nice kit (LaserBoy Correction Amp) to allow you to make your own LaserBoy DAC.

You can find out more about it here:

And you can get it here:
http://laserboy.org/code/LaserBoy_Current.zip

It comes with a pre-compiled exe for Windows and all the source code in C++ so you can make it for Linux. Works great on a Raspberry Pi!

Please feel free to ask questions. I love to work with other people who want to use my project to make their own art.

7 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Sarah (some stuff) and I was splitting my time between Berlin and Brooklyn before the pandemic struck — now I am in Berlin for the foreseeable future. I think I know a few folks here from the livecode scene; I’m in a livecode band called Codie for which I do visuals with La Habra, a very hacky live Clojurescript SVG tool I made.

Last autumn I had the chance to do a residency where I got to play with a Fairlight CVI and Jones framebuffer and I just fell in love with analog video. Tragically the Fairlight I bought is stuck in LA while I am in Berlin so I have been playing around with apps and my own processing stuff instead.

Aesthetically, I am very interested in multiple passes using methods up & down the historical video stack and a late–20th century LA kinda vibe.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and maybe even meeting some of the Berlin folk when strangers are no longer scary.

Till then, here is a frame from one of my recent favorites:

13 Likes

Hi all, I’m Lee, and found this space via @sarahghp (thanks!).

I’m an artist and educator and based in nyc. I do some livecoding, modular synth, and a variety of coding stuff with p5.js / javascript. I also love working with hardware / video manipulation but don’t have any gear where i am right now.

I’ve been doing (semi-daily) code sketching for a year and a half which can be found here and also make some tools, like a lot of folks on this list! Some of that produces generative visuals.

Here’s a screenshot from one of my recent code sketch projects, called Collapsed.

15 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m Nathan and I’m from the Indianapolis area. My interest in experimental a/v and DIY arts started years ago with circuit bending. It open my mind up to a whole new way of being creative. Since then, databending has been a joy for me to mess around with and has become more practical with limited time and space at hand. Generative video, modular synths, and more hardware-focused a/v works are what I’d like to get into in the future. In the meantime, I’m learning and experimenting with software-based tools like FFmpeg, Python, and Ruby. My approach to these tools is similar to when I first discovered circuit bending i.e. lacking the technical knowledge but learning through experimentation and error. YouTube is where I post my creative experiments and discoveries, if anyone is interested.

I appreciate everyone’s contributions so far and I’m beyond inspired. I look forward to gaining more technical knowledge and seeing all of the creative offerings. Thanks for making this space possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

+1 for BMPC! Drew is so rad!

1 Like

Howdy! I’m Mike Videopunk, and I’m based in New York. I help run a VHS Label called The Basement Labs, and have been doing Live Analog Glitch Visuals for DJ’s & Noise Performances since 2009ish.

I’m really interested in improvisational/live triggered stuff. . . rolling into a show without much knowledge of the what the performances are going to be, and really going in on it, Visual-Jazz style.

With The Basement Labs, we’ve done over 50 Small DIY VHS releases (we’re always looking for cool folks to put stuff out. . . typically 50-100 per edition), with everything from Long Form video poems to Ambient Glitch Jams, Video Albums and Art Compilations. I’ve currently got a STACK of our tapes in my apartment, so if you see me at a show, ask & I’ll give you a couple.

Currently, I’m building out a New A/V Live rig, centered squarely on Live Triggered Dance Music, built around a Roland MC-101 Groovebox & Roland P-10 Video Sampler.

Once the world opens back up, my homies & I will get back into doing our weekly Lo-Fi/House Sunday night meetup (Y’all should come. . . i’ll make sure our next venue has a projector), but in the meantime you can see us on 8BallTV.Club on Sunday nights, 9pm-Midnight EDT.

ALSO: Going to use this soapbox to suggest a couple of Channels/Features for Scanlines:

1. Calendar of Live/Stream Events would be dope (filterable, of course).

2. a For Sale Section would be cool (I’ve got a well loved V8 that needs a new home)

3. I know it’s potentially a lot of work, but what if there was a ‘Scanlines TV’ stream that was just an OBS instance with a VLC playlist on shuffle (or the equivalent) that people could submit video work to, so it’s just an always on, purely random feed of awesome Analog video work?

10 Likes

i think these are some good ideas to potentially shoot for in the future, it might be good to also talk about getting some more folks involved on the development side of this project too, its been @cyberboy666 and @palomakop doing the work getting stuff like setting everything up, and getting chat and streaming integrated with the main forum page. in the meanwhile maybe instead of having an embedded loop player we could just start a thread of “Hey share some video stuff u make” with embeds to youtube/vimeo? would like to see what everyone is up to and have a handy playlist thread around for zoning out on whenevs!

5 Likes

that sounds cool ! i think that @cyberboy666 is working on setting up something like our own video hosting service, which will help with stuff that people haven’t or don’t want to put up on another external site to embed

2 Likes

Hey y’all! I’m Wes and I’m from East Tennessee. I got into video art through VJing some sets for a band I’m in and went from there. I do Live applications for local projects along with video mixes, and glitch art. I also run a clothing brand based around video art and obscure cyberpunk culture.

10 Likes

Hey Wes, just checked out your clothing on the gram and it looks sick. Too bad it’s all sold out.

2 Likes

Hi all! This is ETOL from Italy. I’ve been live coding sounds using Supercollider and visual using Hydra for 5 years now.
Always looking to learn new stuff!!!
Hugs from Venice!!!

6 Likes

Hi everyone im Pedro from Argentina, i make music, visuals, and multimedia stuff as torotumbo, mostly live coding. I like to be in forums and stuff like this. most of my work is on corporative sites (like youtube, instagram, spotify, etc) mostly because i lack the knowledge to make my own pages and distribute my stuff trough there.
I’m part of other groups like toplap and clic so im really looking forward to be part of this space, leave you my last AV project (made with @ojack’s hydra)

11 Likes
2 Likes

Hi, I’m Tim Drage of Cementimental & Isn’tses. Been doing various video circuitbending etc for years, need to get back into doing more soon so glad to find this place (via Lines forum)

Here’s a video I made a few years back for Tom Furse of The Horrors, mixed hardware and software glitch and feedback techniques:

6 Likes

Hey, I’m Eric Schlappi of Schlappi Engineering. I design eurorack modular synthesizers and am mostly on the audio side of things but have been dipping my toes in video. I’ve got a video mixer, crt, a couple security cameras and have exploring feedback world as well as learning some shader code. Excited to get deeper on the video explorations.

6 Likes

Hey Y’all, This looks fabulous! Thank you Paloma for a solid FB alt! Sorry I’m so late to party…Been moving from Chicago to Berkeley, CA. I’m back in the Bay Area and must set up the studio soon, before I go into video feedback withdrawals.

14 Likes

BILL! :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart:OOOO emojis!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m a robp. Generally I’m a lurker on these kinds of forums, but I’m trying to be a bit less introverted. I do a bunch of random tech stuff with a bias toward electronic music, but I’m trying to do more video stuff. I like messing with ffmpeg filterchains to create weird stuff. I’ve done a bit of generative video code in C as well. I also do some electronics, mostly building modular synth stuff. I’ve done a tiny bit of video electronics and am planning to do more.

I was a sysadmin for several years and have messed with a lot of different multimedia services. Recently I’ve been hacking on the ninjam code enough to make a client that can pipe data out to ffmpeg, icecast, or mumble. I’m trying to get it to where I can output audio from a jam to be joined with someone else’s video stream. It’s currently held together by bits of string, but I’ll try to post more on this in the future.

I was fairly housebound for some health reasons before all this. I’m regretting not going out to more artsy stuff when I could, so I’m really enjoying all the great stuff people are putting on the internet. I just found this place because of the rad stream by npichon1, and I’ve enjoyed other works from the Video Circuits group.

Here’s some random videos! geq 10sec 2020-05-02 - YouTube

Here’s a self-potrait! mangled_n (1)|500x500

7 Likes

Hello! My name is January and I love making visuals that move with sound. I enjoy building analog devices, love creating pcbs and crafting light. I like to carve stone and am recently working on light sculptures with a mix of elements. Visual synths are a big passion for me as well as electricity, (it’s like something magic).

I see a lot of people on here are from New York, what a cool thing! I’m from Seattle, trying to find a visual community in the area. There are some Data Viz folks around but they are more data scientists than visual artists, so I am glad to have found this community!

9 Likes