LM6172 end of life?

I just noticed that both Mouser and TI are listing a few models as discontinued. Notably, it looks like they’re getting rid of the PDIP model. Wondering if anyone has any more insight on this? I’m not really keyed into their product life cycles. Looks like they’re keeping the LM6172IMX/NOPB still as SOIC for now.

1 Like

There was some discussion of this on the LZX Discord back in September. One tip was to use Octopart to find vendors who have stock left over if you still want to look for the DIP package. Lars says that the AD8034 is a drop-in replacement. Apparently the AD828 could also work, but is more expensive.

1 Like

Good to know! Mouser still has DIP ones in stock, so PSA for anyone else that wants to stock up. At least SOIC is easy enough to solder to breakouts when we get there :smiley_cat:

Straight up, I’m in the US and if anyone wanted to organize a group buy I’d definitely pick up 30 LM6172. Rochester Electronics has them for ~$3.50 but I also really don’t want to order 75 of them for $252.

I have one of every castle module that needs LM6172s installed- stole them for Syntonie builds. Really need to source opamps to finish all of these builds!

1 Like

Anyone have any thoughts on the AD4354 Quad OpAmp? Slew Rate is 100V/µS and BW of 100MHz. The supply voltage only goes up to 5.5V

1 Like

Ada4851 is a bit cheaper :slight_smile:

this is interesting - because we were looking into Lmh6643/4 as replacements for lm6172s on some cadets and was told that its slew rate (130V/μs) might be too slow for some functions (rectifiers or higher gains) - however ad8034 has slew of 80V/μs so if thats drop-in replacement then likely the lmh6643s will be ok too…

depends where you look - ada4851-4 is slightly cheaper than OPA4354 on mouser but the opa4354 is a bit cheaper/more available on lcsc &other chinese distributors

(plus it comes in soic package which is easier to hand solder than msop)

2 Likes

We’ll have a bunch of LM6172 DIPs on our site soon. Just waiting for a large shipment of them to arrive.

www.networkxxiii.xyz

2 Likes

Sigh. My source was in the process of shipping the chips and noticed corrosion on the pins. Apparently they weren’t stored correctly. These were non-ROHS parts, which are cheaper. So I had to swap for the lead-free ROHS-compliant versions. I still got a good price, but I won’t be able to sell them as cheaply as I had hoped. :frowning:

OK! A big 'ol bunch of DIP LM6172’s just hit my mailbox. I’ll have them up on networkxxiii.xyz in the new few days.

2 Likes

A limited number of LM6172 DIP Lead Free ICs are now available on https://networkxxiii.xyz/

2 Likes