On Migraine Auras

Have any of you all experienced hallucinations from a migraine? I recently learned of this artist who did a series based on the auras they would see when having one.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2016/06/13/the-19th-century-doctor-who-mapped-his-hallucinations/#close

It makes me curious how they may relate to chemical influenced hallucinations and then further that to include programs that create similar patterns.

4 Likes

very interesting.
i used to have migraine attacks with aura. like once every two weeks for years. there was nothing interesting about the aura. also felt more like not being able to focus your eyes right rather than something visual.
for me totally different from what that artist must see.

my thesis supervisor said that my feedback experiments reminded him of the things he saw when he got a migraine. I don’t experience m igraines myself, but I’d love to know more about the potential links between the two.

ocular migraine can indeed look very much like video feedback, particularly the iterative black and white striping that occurs. Halo and balls/orbs/ sources of light can also be experienced. Stranger than this are the numbing sensations in the left hand (which match exactly the striping patterns - some synasthesia at work here)

A migraine is a temporary disruption between the signals between the hemispheres of the brain (left to right) Epilepsy is a disruption between the frontal lobe and rear of the brain.

The black and white striping is very much like many altered state depictions and, for one example, David Lynch uses a lot of this imagery. It is associated with a different dimension entirely (4th) and there are many examples of clown or jester type figures which are dressed/patterned in this black and white stripes.

Perhaps the brain when misfiring is able to see something of this dimension in part during a migraine experience.

2 Likes