Patch Bay/Routing solutions?

…yeah - that is about what i thought it would look like…

…at the moment i am trying to build a setup for live-streaming ( ambioSonics live - Glockenbachwerkstatt München - YouTube ) and parallel onsite video planing to fit most of the stuff into (Thomann) racks for easier transport and faster setup - like i did with the synths and stuff for our monthly sessions: http://www.ambiosonics.de/

Portable wasn’t a requirement for me :slight_smile:

Well spotted on the 410. I’m not sure about the manual. I will take a looksee! I only use it as a TBC, so haven’t futzed about with the wipes or anything.

…great! - thank you very much…

…regarding portability: i think rather sooner than later we all want to go out there and show what we‘re doing with the direct feedback that only a live-audience can provide…

Aye. Don’t get me wrong - I play live. The rig above you linked above though is my studio setup, and not designed or intended to be portable for shows. For playing live I take select pieces depending on what visuals I am doing, rather than the full booner. In those scenarios, the Edirol v4 tends to be the main mixer, since I don’t need complex routing. If I do though, the Kramer switch coupled with some other gear is fine to take - it’s just a 1u rack unit I think, which isn’t unusual. In all honesty, even if I was to take my entire analogue video rig, it would still be more portable than the shit I end up having to take when I tour with the bands I play music in (!). There are more portable Kramer switches available though if you need complex routing with buffered multiple outs. Just a matter of keeping an eye out for them.

…yep, that is what i‘ll most probably be doing too - tear apart the bigger stationary setup…

…nevertheless i am trying to plan and build my ‚studio‘-setup also mainly rackmounted (eg. a couple of Panasonic ES-10s as TBCs and circuit bent video-mixers mounted onto rack shelves) to hopefully make it easier for me to switch between the studio- and the live-setup by just grabbing and re-plugging pre-wired racks…we‘ll see only later if it actually works out as i plan it now…

…i just remembered: somewhere i read that there are several TBC-modes in the VMX410 and also some kind of a reset code for the TBC…if that is really the case having a manual might also be useful to you (unless you know those codes by heart)…

…i have found the source (again): 'Video Tech VMX410' vision mixer .... Full TBC .....'dropouts'... discuss! - VideoHelp Forum

We only convert to XLR for long distances, that is over 3 meters up to 12 meters (then we use a 20m BNC cable. The same dirty cable that was used by Boiler Room Berlin, by the way).

We had a show last night where 2 CRT TVs were connected with adapter cables like these:

XLR cables are supposedly better at shielding the signal from interferences than composite cables (and most of our composite cables are very low-quality). We often play in spaces filled with electric devices of all kinds so we think about that. On the other hand, any kind of adapter may introduce issues on its own, and adapters quality will vary, so that’s another potential issue. BNC cables would be better on long distances but they are expensive (and BNC-RCA adapters are often shitty…see here or here). When you are on a low budget it’s a bit of the lesser of the evils.

(I was re-reading this thread and I noticed I never replied this, sorry)

Can these matrix switchers send video to independent outputs, then all to one pretty easily? I got an Extron Matrix, but it wont power on.

I can’t speak for all matrix switches, but yes - the ones I’ve used can do that.

1 Like

Great, thanks. Now just trying to decide between an 8x8 or 16x16. Kinda keen on the audio patchbay elements of them too.