This is a symptom of a larger problem I don't want to be a part of:

By the way ‘nb’ can stand for ‘non-black’ so we prefer to spell it phonetically, such as enbii or enbie or enby. Thanks for understanding.

can you add a #gendertopics (or something) tag to it?

It’s “off-topic” in the sense that it doesn’t directly relate to video-generating hardware or software, I don’t think “off-topic” is intended as a put-down.

Makes sense to me; tagged as “gender”.

General reminder: anyone can create new tags when creating a new topic, or when editing their own existing topics. Moderators can tag anyone’s topics (feel free to message me and suggest appropriate tags to other existing topics that don’t have any).

1 Like

im not sure i completely understand what you mean, but “culture jamming and maing collage and home movies with a punk sensibility” sounds very appropriate for this forum to me.

it is interesting this content vs aesthetic idea, - when i look at some of my older work it is a lot more focused on cutting between home-movie & weird vhs tapes / found footage. letting that content set the mood more i guess than the ‘effects’ or synthesis. (this is why i originally wanted a video sampler for my live sets) i just found some boxes of old tapes last week and was thinking about how should go back to making art like that again …

i dont really know what could happen here… if i wanted to upload (for example) the entirety of a new release hollywood movie… would prob do this unlisted on peertube …

… but for art / recut / fair-use i think it would be ok to put most things up on therr - its not super high ranking seo / traffic anyway (worse case is being threatened and having to take some things down i guesss ??)

1 Like

Hi @Veridical, welcome to Scanlines and thanks for sharing your experience! You probably have already noticed, but just in case: we have a Peertube instance at videos.scanlines.xyz - you should feel free to upload there your videos. More details about our Peertube instance can be found here or in other threads tagged #peertube.

It’s unfortunate and surprising that your archive.org page got deleted! I really hope that was a glitch. We Pixelflowers also use archive.org and our feeling is that they’re somehow tolerant about copyright infringements, at least when those are part of a creative action…if you’re confident it was a glitch I’d suggest you to try again with them (even if you also upload to Peertube or somewhere else; redundancy is good).

1 Like

Hi @Veridical, I searched but couldn’t find any of your works (but I did learn a new word “Veridical” :slight_smile: ). I’m interested to see how it differs from what others post here from time to time. Are there any examples you’d be happy to point me to (obviously acknowledging that you’ve said you’re currently looking for a more permanent home for your works).

Also I expect it’s not quite what you’re looking for but the (rather small) community of video artists who stream live on Twitch seem to focus more on what they do rather than the technologies they use. But it tends to be more about living in the moment with live processing and manipulation rather than producing specific long-term artworks.

1 Like

i agree that this kind of electronic media art (that leans in on the mediums themselves) can get a bit caught up in the tech / tools side of things. i would like this forum to be a place to celebrate all sides of the creative process. if anyone has some suggestions on how to balance these things out here , or how to make artists from adjacent disciplines feel more comfortable we are really open to them.

that being said i also understand the desire to break away from what is there / build a platform that suits specific community needs. happy to help or give some insights on how this space was set up…

and i second @VisibleSignals - would love to see some of your work !

re some earlier work of mine, after some digging i found this video on youtube - on second thought it is still pretty aesthetic focused i guess… but you can see a bit usage of home movie / found footage / random vhs in ther atleast. this is one of the first video performances i ever did. feeling lil shy sharing it now. but i do quite like it still :blush:

2 Likes

Back to the topic about boys club only and gatekeeper:
did anybody saw those instagram chain letter stories were an analog video artist taggs other artist to support? saw 10 of those and not one woman was listed…

PS: after a short rant i had to tag 10 female artist :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

thanks for tagging me in your instagram story @Meudiademorte. i would like to mention that i don’t identify as female (i think “agender” seems to be the best description word for me. i don’t mention this often but maybe it’s good to be more open about it.)

regarding @Veridical’s comments, thanks for sharing your experience. since i read this thread earlier, i have been contemplating this idea of technical-focused work, aesthetic-focused work, and content-focused work. it’s not something i have generally made hard distinctions between, since there is so much room for overlap (i like to think of “aesthetics” as a semantic element, where “meaning” can be conveyed through more than just literal content), but i have noticed that people seem to be more accepting or “comfortable” with seeing women and non-binary people (as well as marginalized peoples in general) making work that focuses on its subject matter rather than the techniques used. if there’s one thing i’m certain of, i don’t want people to have to change the way they work to make others comfortable, or to conform to their expectations, or to avoid activating “mansplain mode.” i also hope that this forum can be a home for a diverse range of work styles, and aim to cultivate a supportive environment for different types of creative ideas. this has been one of our explicit goals from the start and we are open to feedback about how to make this space as welcoming as possible.

in regards to our peertube instance, one thing we can say is that we don’t have any of the automated “copyright infringement” detection which causes youtube and other platforms to (often unfairly) block people’s content. there is also a certain amount of “security through obscurity” due to the fact that it’s just our own small, self-hosted instance.

5 Likes

didnt know that, just wanted to point out in babysteps that there is diversity existing in this scene.

1 Like

No problem, Veridical.

If someone could point me at some examples (even better if there are descriptions of why/how they differ to help better define the distinctions) of the differences between technical-, aesthetic- and content-focused video artwork then that would be great, because I don’t really know what they are. I admit I’ve struggled with video art terminology before and I have no training or professional background in this space so please be kind!

Also, my request might be better on a separate thread since it’s clearly not relevant to this one any more.

1 Like

I found another peertube instance the other day, but it only seems to have one video artist on it that I’ve found so far: Binary Tubes - Diode Zone

3 Likes

I can now totally understand why you’re looking for a different way to distribute your works… it’s going to take me over 3 hours to download (streaming is not an option) the lowest res version of that 50 minute video :-\

Is it true that “content-focused” material has a story to tell or a message to put across or a desire to make the viewer think, whereas technical- and aesthetic-focused material often doesn’t? Because that’s a big difference I think I see between much of the “video art” that’s out there and the few brief minutes of your video that I’ve been able to see so far.

1 Like

i see, thanks for explaining. i am glad that you are making the work you want to be making, at the very least.

i think i misunderstood because it has been my own experience that i get pushed in that direction. i am glad to be back in a position of working independently with less of these pressures now.

Well that’s a really great finding, definitely in-topic…check out the person behind diode.zone: http://www.misc.name/about - her nickname is… “scanlime”. :grin: :lemon: :tv:

@Veridical i don’t want to seem like i’m ignoring your most recent posts, but i must admit you’ve somewhat lost me in the level of abstraction that the conversation seems to have taken. i misunderstood what you said before, and i feel i might accidentally do so again if i try to read into what you are saying here.

i’m not really sure what you mean by lounge art, but it sounds somewhat belittling to me. but then again, i really can’t try too hard to interpret what you are saying without a little bit more context. i want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

maybe i am just in an overly defensive mode, as just this morning i have read some people saying (on a different platform), video art isn’t a real art practice as much as just a hobby as it’s just a matter of twiddling knobs. so now i read this and it sounds like you are referring to artwork made with visual elements in mind as “lounge art.” perhaps i’m misinterpreting though. i think it’s important to recognize the value of different approaches.

another thing i was confused about is when you said, just as the issue was being resolved – i don’t know what issue you meant at that point.

i am making an effort to understand because i am a moderator and want to ensure that communication is taking place in good faith in general, but i’m confused. perhaps i am just unfamiliar with the framework of some of your terminology, and that’s fine. i consider myself a feminist but i don’t know what kinds of blood vessels you are referring to, or your use of the word “insulation.” but maybe it’s best to just leave it at that if you don’t feel that this conversation is productive, which, from what i can understand, seems possible.

3 Likes

Hi @palomakop I feel similarly, but since I am a white cisgendered male I know I am part of the problem so I thought I should avoid making the situation any worse. I want to understand and learn and interact constructively and helpfully, but not at the expense of upsetting anyone when I can’t work what people mean. I think there is a wider context and background to your messages @Veridical that I just don’t have any knowledge or understanding of (yet). But I know there will always be more opportunities to participate in discussions like these, and communicating via text is difficult at the best of times :-\

4 Likes

I recently completed a coding school in Seattle which did an excellent job explaining how they approached this issue themselves which may provide some good perspective. It continues a bit off of @palomakop’s original reply because I also largely see the issue you’re bringing up to be synonymous with the diversity in tech issue.

This article put a lot into perspective for me: When Women Stopped Coding : Planet Money : NPR

Access to curriculum is great, it’s just not enough to address the issues of lack of community, support, resources, and the damage that gender stereotypes have already done to our society.

3 Likes

Are the youtube statistics really valid? I started out inspired by a female artist, and kept digging into things to figure them out. I do think gear in general is a barrier. I have collected obscure tech and other weird stuff over many years, but the cost and difficulty is much higher than I expected.

2 Likes