Introducing videos.scanlines.xyz!

tl;dr

we have now a video platform you can try at https://videos.scanlines.xyz - its a work-in-progress so report back what you think / how it goes

peertube

i have been wanting to try creating an instance of peertube to host my videos on. if interested i recommend reading a little more about the project here https://joinpeertube.org/

in short it is an open-source decentrilized video platform. two interesting things about it:

• it is federated, using ActivityPub to communicate between instances, basically this means if another similar community started also an instance for their art videos these instances can follow each other and share the videos, users, comments etc without needing everything on a central server
  • it uses webTorrent for peer-to-peer sharing of video info. this means if many people are watching the same video at once they will share chucks of it between themselves, saving the server from becoming overloaded.

ofcourse being open-source also empowers us to customize it to suit the specific needs of this community. (eg i know peertube is using ffmpeg for transcoding - maybe there are tweaks we know serve video-art better ? )

setup details

one thing stopping me trying this in the past was the cost of diskspace on virtual machines. the $5per month droplet (1cpu/1Mb ram) im currently using has only 25Gb of storage. the breakthrough came when experimenting with static object storage (like s3). using a program called s3fs it is possible to mount a s3-like bucket as a filesystem. i created an account with wasabi getting 1Tb of storage for $5 per month. (i also created a small plugin to auth seamlessly with discourse) if you are interested in more technical details i have been documenting them here

this setup on a 1cpu droplet worked well for me alone in my tests. (and for ~$10 a month is still a better deal then other hosting platforms i looked into ) encoding a 1hour video took upto an hour (probably blocking the whole cpu), so if many more people are using this we might want to consider upgrading the machine. im not sure how interested others here are in an alternative video platform ? but together maybe we could maintain something (open and ethical) for this whole community for not much more than the price of a single vimeo pro account ? lets see :wink:

9 Likes

that was quick ! excited to try this out !

2 Likes

embed test:

3 Likes

sorry to anyone who tried joining videos.scanlines.xyz and got a error like this:

there was a problem for all scanlines users with uppercases in their names. but this is resolved now -> so happy video uploading to ALL

1 Like
chat.scanlines.xyz