Video Camera Recommendations

Hello all!

Was just wondering what you use for getting a live video feed.

I bought a few cameras from Goodwill to bring in video but when I send the video out via composite cable, they always leave artifacts, like battery power remaining or other various video settings.

What types of cameras do you all use for rescanning or just capturing live video that you can instantly edit?

Cheers!

We use a Canon XM2 (digital pro/prosumer camcorder, ~2000-2005). It has both S-Video and composite outputs where by default, no overlays (icons, settings etc) are shown (they’re always visible in the onboard display or in the viewfinder.

Had you seen this other thread? Using vintage camcorders in the now

:video_camera: I’ve just tagged #camera a few other threads so maybe check them out too:
https://scanlines.xyz/tag/camera

2 Likes

That Canon XM2 is a beauty!

Thank you for tagging those posts, I will keep looking around.

Cheers!

Hey! Just a note for anyone looking to get a composite video camera that does not have overlays, I bought this Security camera for cheap of amazon. Amazon.com

It costs about $50 but I was able to grab a used one for $30! Been using it for a month now and I have no complaints. It’s not HD by far but it definitely does the job and I like how grimey it can get when you max out of some of the settings.

4 Likes

security cameras are great!

1 Like

hi!
i’ve been reading scanlines for a while, but just joined :slight_smile: stoked to be here!

i’m working primarily in touchdesigner, with a small bit of outboard analog processing, and am looking for an efficient way to rescan my crt back into the computer in realtime. at first i was considering a camcorder with capture card, but then i thought a webcam/security cam with manual focus/exposure controls might be more efficient.

my first search turned up something like this but i’m not sure it will let me manually set the shutter speed and reviews aren’t great… if anyone has experience with other options please let me know.

1 Like

most cameras with direct usb UVC output aren’t going to give you too much control of the image before it hits the sensor, it’ll all be dsp/post processing stuff. that camera you linked looks like at least you’ve got actual lens controls which is nice, but unlikely to really be able to control shutter speed, just frame rate.

i’d probably recommend getting like an older canon rebel in about the same price range as that camera you listed or something similar in the dslr world and a decent quality hdmi capture card with working TD drivers (i.e something that DOESN"T just show up as a usb camera) and that would probably save a fair amount of time.

you could probably end up with a decent solution eventually by trial and erroring with security cameras but then you’d also probably want to invest a little bit more on the capture card to make sure yr not just feeding a stream of mpeg artefacts into whatever else is going on in yr TD patch (i.e why you probably avoid capture cards that spit out UVC)

3 Likes

that’s extremely helpful insight - thank you!

seems like this blackmagic ultraStudio 3g recorder might do the trick… is that overkill or just right?

1 Like

i think that should do the trick!

1 Like