Video eurorack modules which use plain composite video (ie not LZX format)

Hi, i’m interested* in video modules which deal with composite video directly and don’t rely on the sync distribution cable stuff etc that the LZX and releated modules use (as lovely as that is!), anyone know of any good examples (sold modules or DIY schematics)?

E.G Syntonie CBV001 and this interesting one Wave Comber i found on etsy

*interested in reading/watching about, maybe building/buying, maybe designing one myself :slight_smile:

thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i just mentioned it on another thread - but there’s the jones mvip! maybe others will know of more.

2 Likes

wow that looks amazing, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a wave comber in the mail, I’ll report back in the moment arrives and can build it. :slight_smile:
Check also analog reason.

2 Likes

Oh yeah looks nice, simple but effective :slight_smile:

Just posted this on that other thread too, but check out the second section here. Many listed there have already been mentioned in this thread, above, but does include some other options. Erogenous Tones Structure, notably.

2 Likes

oh yeah, fluxus duo looks pretty cool. a friend of mine has one.

if you include modules built around raspberry pi, the list definitely gets longer.

3 Likes

Second on the mention of the Fluxus Duo. Love mine. A deceptively deep and flexible glitch module that can work wonders in a feedback loop or as an end of chain lofi texture effect.

2 Likes

there is the Hypno
and the Syntonie CBV001 & CBV002

2 Likes

i am a huuuge fan of wavecomber, i have two1

2 Likes

The LZX Visual Cortex counts, I think. It can take composite in and outputs composite (among others). And it doesn’t need sync since it’s a sync source in an LZX system. It’s no longer in production though.

Also, the LZX Memory Palace counts, I think. It outputs composite (among others). It doesn’t take composite in, but it can do a lot without and video input, if you’re just using images/clips from the SD card. Doesn’t need sync if you’re not using it with an LZX system. This one’s still in production.

1 Like

One to add to the list to be completist but it’s the dreaded Synthrotek (Sound Study Modular is a sub-brand of theirs as far as I know) sorry :frowning: VID PIX Video Module | Sound Study Modular

Most/all their previous modules are copies of other designers’ Open Source stuff, does anyone know if that’s the case here? It looks fun and I’d be interested in getting/DIYing one without sending any money in their direction.

Pure speculation but I wouldn’tbe surprised if it was at least partially… inspired… by the Pixelmusic 3000.

4 Likes

!! Hadn’t seen this before - thanks for sharing!

1 Like

OH cool, yeah hadn’t seen that either, looks interesting and quite similar indeed. The page you posted mentions the links being dead but maybe they were put back online as the makezine project seems to be online after all now and the code download on there works too.

Another thing to add to the ‘try and build someday’ pile ha

I have recently bought the cbv001 and the cbv002 kits. Nice solder projects and the cbv001 has those classic circuit bend glitches with the white lines etc.
I’m still figuring out what to do with the delay.I also have a Trinsrgb and it pairs well with all those modules. I’m currently on the waitinglist for the wavecomber so if you don’t want to wait too long and you liked the demos of the cbv001 then just go for it, they are not expensive. but I’m a newbie here, cannot offer you a lot of comparison but for me it seemed a good start. I now want to explore what I can do with the already existing modular gear I have already…

2 Likes

In a feedback loop!!!

!!!

1 Like

of course, dammit I’m such a newbie…

1 Like

Which waiting list for the Wave Comber? I just bought one last night from his Etsy store and ended up picking it up locally.

Built it last night and I’m really happy with it!

2 Likes

I got the cbv001 PCB and panel from Thonk recently, going to try and round up the components and build it soon :slight_smile: