Whats everyone working on these days?

Lil vid I quickly put together last week w some wjmx feedback, syntonie cbv001, and a canon elura camcorder (that’s creating the sphere and wave effects) !

Toys are “puppeteered” by me, I added another old piece of glitch footage pip in the shot, and I made the text in paint3d.

4 Likes

Hundreds of breaks

Slowly getting the video setup back on its feet. The FFG enclosure from Ponoko should be waiting when I get home today, but the spacers are still on order because of course all the spacers I had on hand are either 1mm too short or 1mm too tall.

It’s mostly down to figuring out how to fit it all onto one small table and a keyboard stand (and building a tall rack for my music gear so I can free up the table the 12u case I’m using now is sitting on, so I can free up the keyboard stand that the video mixers are on) and then patching everything together (i.e. finding out I need a bunch of new BNC to RCA cables probably, because everything I have now is either really short or 2+ meters long, and neither will work well the way I’m setting it up now).

Putting a ZuluSCSI in my old MPC and then figuring out the best way to get samples back onto it from the computer (it’s possible, but every method has drawbacks so I need to try them all and see which one is least bad - they’re all better than 20 year old 1gb CF cards that are all starting to fail and are too expensive to replace, especially since the replacements are just as old).

1 Like

…as i could not join in to the ambioSonics august session (ambioSonics - electronic music from Munich) for live visuals we plan to release a few tracks on Youtube from that session with ‚live visuals‘ added to them - here is the first one:

4 Likes

I’m entirely new to the world of video art, so I’ve just been working on learning all the tools of the trade. My main objective is to turn all my music into an audio visual experience. So far i’ve explored 3 categories: manipulation of analog and digital signals with hardware gear (VSERPI, Roland V8, circuit bent video enhancer), 3d animation with blender, and projection mapping with touch designer. I mainly work with midi enabled music gear, so control of the V8 and video_Waaaves from my music setup is my primary focus right now. My ultimate goal is to compose with audio and video simultaneously. The digitakt from Elektron has proven to be the perfect interface for this. Being able to control things using parameter locks and lfo’s over midi is awesome!

4 Likes

Don’t forget about DMX, you can control light with your Digitakt if you have a MIDI to DMX interface:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Obey40--chauvet-dj-obey-40-192-ch-lighting-controller

You then control the lights by plugging them into a dimmer pack:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DMX4--chauvet-dj-dmx-4-4-ch-dmx-dimmer-switch-pack

The dimmer pack is connected to the Obey 40 via DMX. So you would have: lights > dimmer pack > Obey 40 > Digitakt. When you send a Midi signal from the Digitakt to the Obey 40, it will convert it to DMX signal and send the DMX signal to the dimmer pack. The dimmer pack will turn off, on or dim the lights which are plugged into it. Using an oscillator from the Digitakt you can even have the lights dim from bright to low and low back to bright if you wanted. Also, the cool thing about dimmer packs is you do not have to plug just lights into them. Try other things, record players, a toaster, televisions… You can use it as an on and off switch controlled from the Digitakt!

Good luck on your adventures!!

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s another world I’ve always wanted to demystify. I’ve seen some pretty incredible light shows at concerts before, and always wondered what the hell was going on behind the scenes. Midi is such an awesome technology. Controlling synths is cool enough, but now I totally want to find out what its like to control a toaster like a musician.

1 Like

…i had the need for an eurorack-module that converts 0-1V CVs from video modules to 0-5V CVs…

…as i could not find any ready-made-module for sale (like LZX Bridge or LZX Voltage Bridge or one of the other modules that had been available a (very) few years ago) i tried to make my own…

…and actually succeeded - with a lot of help that is; the thing is based on the LM324 which hosts 4 converters in one IC - here is the schematic of one converter:

…here is what it looks like at the moment - not nice, but it works:

…todo: frontpanel and a means to attach the PCB to that front somehow…

4 Likes

not to dissuade you from DIY but https://www.videoheadroom.systems/storefront/p/xfmr this would be a module that does what you want!

1 Like

…thank you for the tip! - unfortunately, like all the others it is ‚sold out‘…

…the only module available at the moment i could find after hours of research was the circuitbenders.co.uk ‚Redshift dual up / down line to Eurorack level shifter module‘…i have ordered one, but it will be delivered mid october only…

…and this one too is sold out now…

My Visible Signals ‘Wrangler’ module is a feature-rich video-rate level shifter https://www.visiblesignals.net/product/wrangler/ DIY only, but various people including @OpticalCollusion will happily build them for you.

2 Likes

I’ve been bending a lot more devices recently. My builds have gotten a lot better and I’ve started to sell some in my shop, as I’ve accumulated far too many enhancers. I partly enjoy the process of experimenting with the bends as I do using the things. Shop is below, though nothing is in stock at the mo.

I’ve also been doing a bunch of visuals lately, including doing some live shows again, which has been fun. Trying to get a reliable, portable live rig…

5 Likes

Seems this is 1v:10v (and vice versa) instead of 1v:5v, but could still do the trick?

…with the trimpots (back of the faceplate) it should be possible to get the output-voltage into the correct range for what i want to use it (= 5V)…

1 Like

…thank you for the tip! - i spent a few hours checking your modules out and looking for parts - those are some really nice and interesting modules (hey there, RGB Matrix!)!..

…the Wrangler seems to be really flexible in what it can do, but for my current needs it offers too much and too little at the same time: i just the need the 1-to-5V conversion (in this module) and i would like to have rather eight than four (or one like in the Wrangler) converters in a small module…

…that said: i will definitely add a Wrangler to my eurorack rather sooner than later…

1 Like

Yes, I completely understand. I always find it tricky balancing between bells-and-whistles and HP!

1 Like

Thanks for tagging me here @VisibleSignals :+1:t3: & for writing to me @fairplay :+1:t3:

I’ve been way too quiet on here this year but can happily say I’ve been playing shows regularly here in Berlin and have another this Saturday, next Thursday with @leolodreamland also on the lineup & another next Saturday with some Drummers :drum::loud_sound::film_projector::tv: :grinning:

I’ve also given two workshops here, aimed at introducing video synthesis to beginners & demonstrating the various eurorack modules available as well as letting the participants get their hands on the instruments and creating visuals. I’ll post a few photos later or create a new thread.

I fully intend on travelling throughout Europe a lot more frequently for the remainder of 2022 & into next year so if someone would like to book me for a gig, soldering workshop, demonstration, or all 3 for a mega video synth weekend. please get in touch :grinning:

& I’ve a bunch of Visible Signals modules soldered up & ready or almost ready to sell so send me a pm if you have an questions regarding them or Fox’s Opacity Mixer & Mux 2x channel RGB Crossfader (I’ve forgotten it’s name :sweat_smile:) :+1:t3:

1 Like

Getting into optics… :melting_face:

5 Likes

That’s wild @555sounds, very beautiful. Would you please share some basic info about which techniques used here? Like, no software involved?

2 Likes

Yeah it looks like practical effects to me. Out of focused crystals, a gobo and a turntable possibly?

Really great work @555sounds !!

1 Like