How to capture video wiki (stand alone or otherwise)

this is a wiki feel free to edit/add this post
(I’m trying to only add things that I’ve used so if you see something that isn’t on here put it up!)

the goal here is to help describe different methods of capturing video to some kind of medium.

Stand alone

sometimes you don’t want to have a computer involved while recording

VHS

VHS wikipedia

• Takes composite input
  • Machines are currently pretty much free to get started with
  • Records to VHS tapes
  • Tapes are cheap

S-VHS

S-VHS wikipedia

Rescan

The art of pointing a camera at a screen

First rescan tests

• This is a playlist trying out rescanning at different resolutions (480,720,1080,4k)

4k Rescan playlist

this video discusses some of the points you’ll need to address when rescanning a CRT

• Things of Note
    – set camera to 1/60 (NTSC) / 1/50 (PAL) shutter speed
    – turn off lights in room and/or utilize/make a monitor hood
    – adjust back light on monitor if possible otherwise adjust brightness/iso until a desirable image is found.
    – on my camera in a dark room an iso of 100/200 is necessary for rescanning
Cameras used for rescan
Mevo plus

I’m using a mevo plus (only because the place I work for bought one and it isn’t getting used currently)
I would not really recommend this camera unless you understand how it works as it is weird…
that being said a newer version has been released so this version is fairly cheap on ebay now.

Black Magic hyperdeck shuttle 2

Black magic hyperdeck shuttle 2

details

In order to get a useable input into the hyperdeck shuttle from the LZX visual cortex component output use the Extron 300a to get the video into the YUV colorspace.

AV > microSD

Composite to microSD

info

that 3 minute video is 32.3 MB

you can access the SD card through a USB port on the unit or with a regular microSD card reader if you wanted to take it out

Computer

computer based recording is sometimes a great answer

Black magic intensity shuttle

Black magic intensity shuttle

with the intensity shuttle you can get a ton of different formats and resolutions into your computer once you have it in the computer you’ve got to figure out where to go from there

Setup

BMD driver and app download
then search for the intensity shuttle and look for the correct “desktop video xx.x” download for your machine. If you are using an older mac I had to go back to like 10.7. The problem may have been fixed since then but I haven’t tried another download since it works.

Make sure to set up your shuttle to be looking for the right resolution at the correct input or else you may feel like the thing doesn’t work. On a mac you go to system preferences > Black magic desktop video > intensity shuttle
set things for whatever you are trying to capture

for instance my LZX component capture settings are

HDMI > USB

HDMI to USB

• shows up in OBS as “USB Camera”

AV > USB

AV > USB

• same dongle I use to get video into Raspberry pi based synths
  • I’ve only ever used the composite input
  • shows up in OBS as “AV to USB2.0”
  • demo capture of raspberry pi synth
3 Likes

Maybe there should be some points about Timebase Correctors in the VHS section? Additionally, it might be worth mentioning MiniDV for recording, and the fact that VHS will typically hold an image for 20-25 years, at least. . . So, ultimately VHS is kinda a nice archival format, as well?

3 Likes

sounds like a good idea !

do you know how to edit the post @videopunks ?

2 Likes

absolutely! this was just a rough drat that I was slowly working on and then I had another post I wanted to make so I put up what I had.

My vision of this wiki is much bigger than it currently is!

added some meat to these bones

I’ll still need to put up some capture demos of VHS / SVHS / HDMI > USB

I think now that things are pretty well setup I’ll do a capture with each unit of the same material + maybe some test images so you can compare demos a little more meaningfully (as much as youtube allows for anyway…)

1 Like

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Setups/workflows to capture the highest quality version of your work?

added a rescan section
with playlists and basic techniques

chat.scanlines.xyz